Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So What

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MilesD, Jun 17, 2002.

1. MilesD

MilesD

May 7, 2002
    Netherlands
    Hello,

Can anybody tell me where to find the tabs for "So What" from Miles Davis ?

Thanx

Miles

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I really doubt you can find tabs for jazz standards, sorry.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    JMX is right- the walking bass lines you hear in most jazz recordings are improvised, so each performance won't have the same exact notes each time.

Usually, the players are presented with charts, and it's up to them to interpret the chord changes they way they want to.

4. MilesD

MilesD

May 7, 2002
    Netherlands
    Oke,

I was hoping that a real jazz standard would be available in tabs. I agree that jazz-musicians usually improvise, but the version as on the Standard album Kind of Blue is known to a lot of people....

but, bad luck I guess

Thanx

Miles

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Miles-

If you can get your hands on a chart, you can work out a bass line of your very own. If you follow this link, you'll find a thread with even more links describing how to create walking bass lines. (They're down at the bottom.) At first, constructing your own lines will be slow work, and pretty challenging. But when you find you can play through the whole song with something YOU created, you'll feel pretty damn good.

BTW- Most "real" jazz standards can be found in "Real Books", which are collections of charts for various pieces. No tabs, though. ;)

6. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
  7. Well.... i know how to play the head to So What. and if you wish i will tab it out for ya. PM me or send me an email. i don't have time now but i will in a few days.

You can't really tab out a song that is played on upright because there are no frets, but i will take the notes and i will tab it for ya to play on your electric. it is a great song but for your lead player (trumpet or alto or whatever) if he improvises then he is going to have a difficult time imvroving over the chord structure. not impossible though. my jazz combo does it and what a great crowd pleaser.

keep playing those jazz standards, they are slowely fading away, keep jazz alive.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Eh (?!) - there are only two chords (modes) in the whole song so there is an argument that it must be one of the easiest to solo over, ever composed in this genre - if you have problems with this anyway, then you are certainly going to struggle with any other Jazz standards!! :rolleyes:

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I've always thought "So What?" was one of the easier songs to solo over. You want hard, give Giant Steps a shot. :D

10. CajunPNUT

CajunPNUT

Dec 8, 2005
    the song is in the key of D
    :)

Main Riff
    G
    D
    A 5 5/7 5
    E 578 8

G
    D
    A 5 5/7 5
    E 578 8 3

G
    D
    A 5 5/7 5
    E 578 8

G
    D
    A 5/7 5/7 5/7 5
    E 5

:D do this a couple of times and then there there is some modulation where he moves up a step to Eb(play the same riffs but one fret sharper)

Then its a dorian walk with added 9ths, and 6ths.
    ***All you have to do is play 1/8 notes on the odd numbered frets***
    ( :confused: In other words: walk through your minor pentatonic blues bar scale)
    HOPE THIS HELPS :hyper:

11. CajunPNUT

CajunPNUT

Dec 8, 2005
    Sorry the tab isn't lined up properly

12. Bruce Lindfield

You answered a question that was put up over 3 years ago!!! :eek:

How bored would you have to be, to do that...? :meh:

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    About as bored as you...

:D :smug:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Not at all!! I can find plenty of posts to respond to from today - I don't need to go dredging up 3-year old threads and have never done such a thing!! :meh:

In fact, I only ever have time to look at "New Posts" since I was last here .. and most days I don't get round to looking at all of those - only a small fraction!

15. CajunPNUT

CajunPNUT

Dec 8, 2005
    I dont talk on forums, so im new to this whole thing. I just saw a topic with a question that wasn't answered that great so I gave it a shot. I thought this forum was for helping out or getting help from other bassist?

16. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    It is.

From what I've seen Bruce Lindfield just complains alot

17. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I use it more for venting lots of pent-up agression . . . but to each his own, I guess.