so whats more important in sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 21, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    pickups or wood?

I know it might be a combination of the 2 but if you were to choose between a lower end bass (£80-120)with amazing electronics(after modding that is) or a higher end (MIM level) bass with stock electronics

which would be better
  2. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    I would always go for the better quality instrument as a rule of thumb. Assuming you can try a few out, the tone, playability, sustain are likely to be better. You can upgrade electronics at anytime and this is more cost effective than trying to upgrade the neck and body.
  3. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'd rather have a bass that felt awesome with mediocre pickups than a bass that felt like crap with ultra-jazzes dropped into it. Far easier to throw in new pickups somewhere down the line than to make the bass "feel" right.
  4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't mean to be a total jerk (though partial jerk is probably accurate) but if MIM is your idea of higher end, amazing electronics are likely out of your price range.

If adding aftermarket pups is the plan, then look for something well built (tight neck pocket, no structural cracks, straight neck, etc) and reasonably cheap. The introduction of CNC processes to the world of instrument making means that pretty much any little Korean or Tiwanese company can produce reasonable quality instruments for pennies. If the construction is good, then quality electronics will give you a fine instrument.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    basically I was wondering if it was a good idea to get a cheapo SX like P bass, get a MM size hole routed in it install a pickup and then change the original Ps with some of the hardware.
  6. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006

get a higher quality instrument

i beg you
  7. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think about doing that too now and then, 'cause it would be sort of fun. But, look at the amount of money you'd need to spend before you got where you wanted to be:

- The SX ~ $250
    - The upgraded pickup/s ~ $200
    - A nice bridge ~$175
    - Upgraded hardware ~ $125
    - A preamp ~ $200

We're close to $1000 right there, without any charges for luthiery. And you'd still have a bass that is, in essence, an SX. For that amount, you could buy a really nice Fender or even a Lakland, with much less hassle.
  8. we have a winner!