1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So... what's the current 'lightest/loudest' value leader?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikewalker, Nov 16, 2018.

1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Is there a consensus?

I want to replace a TC "RS210" with something that doesn't weigh fifty pounds.
    RS210-large.
    I do like its 400WRMS@8Ω power handling, and it sounds quite OK, but I would prefer a lighter weight package ( vertical 2-10 or even a couple of stacked 1-10s?)

And I actually could live just fine without any kind of tweeter, to be honest...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Plenty of new neo 212 offerings coming in under 50 these days. Pick your flavor, many taste great. Audiokinesis, Bergantino, Barefaced, off the top of my head and there are several others. As well as light 115s.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  3. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Revsound as well.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

do you have a "goal weight," or a preferred range?

i'm asking because i wouldn't consider 50 lbs. as "too heavy." but if that TC cabinet weighed half as much = we'd all have one, probably.

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly, my F115 at 52 pounds weighs more than 50, but it does the work of what I previously needed 100+ pounds for (and cost the same I might add). It's the light vs. loud winner for me personally, but it's definitely not the only game in town.

If you were able to get by with a 210 in the past, and just want to save weight, I'd think either a Greenboy 12/6 or F112, an Audiokinesis Hathor 1203, or Barefaced 112 or 210 might be at the top of my list (funds permitting).

Happy hunting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  6. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    If OP likes his 210 except for weight, and is okay w/o a tweeter, then a Barefaced Two10S might be the ticket, 29 pounds, 4 ohms so you have full utilization/maximization of your amp's power. (Also has switchable impedance so you can use it w/ another cab easily too.) I use the Two10S often and covers, really, almost every situation. Amazingly.

A Barefaced Big Baby II (1x12 with horn) is great in the light/loud department, also 29 pounds. Fill a room.

I know OP wants to lessen the weight, but could also keep the weight the same but add capability -- Barefaced Four10 is 49 pounds, and a Barefaced Super Twin (2x12) is 37-40 pounds depending on grill, and Big Twin runs about 46-49 depending on grill, and provides 2x12 + horn dominance.

There would also be a performance/sound quality bump going from a TC to a Bareforced/HAudioKinesis/Greenboy etc. Nothing against TC's.

Clearly I am partial to the Barefaced but similar weight/power ratios and sound quality can be found in other high-end cabs as well.

7. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    30 lbs each ... behold
    20170213_155211.

8. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    There's no way I'd give up my RS212. I have this nagging feeling that any lighter than 50lbs for a 2 speaker cab is not going to sound good.

I would try separate 112 cabs as suggested by @dbase

Pbassmanca and mikewalker like this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    What about Trace Elliot 1x10? No tweeter, 300W, 16 lbs...

Many other options out there these days...

Pbassmanca, wave rider and mikewalker like this.
  10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    GOAL WEIGHT: Featherweight!

I've been hearing about all these new advances in drivers and cab design, just wondering what is "da bomb" for 2018. The 'high efficiency, ultra-compact, ultra-light-weight' cab that DOES IT ALL :)

I guess I am ideally looking for an 8 ohm cab. I already have a Hydrive 1-12 that I stack the TC on top of (to get it a little closer to ear level). It's weird, but the Hydrive really fattens things up nicely - "feels" like a 2-15 cab under there. Its about 34 pounds I think, ideally a modern companion for it should weigh less than that...

Pbassmanca, JRA and Zbysek like this.
  11. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If weight is really the biggest concern (it wasn't for me), then I'd probably go with the Hathor that I recommended above. 25lbs, available in 4/8ohm, uses one of those high-displacement drivers, and should out-perform your current cab (and sound different doing it, you need to decide if you like it).

Does it do it all? I'd probably want a little more for my personal needs, but again, if a 210 worked well for you in the past, the Hathor 1203 should absolutely at least "do it".

12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Except the RS 210 only weighs 38 pounds.

So all the 30 to 39 pound recommendations are pretty much the same

For the most part stepping up to high powered 12" will probably cover what the 210 could do.

Eventually you hit the theoretical lightness factor cause plywood and neos still have a set weight they can't be reduced to

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  13. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I think you're getting into the limit as far as how low you can go weight-wise for 2-10's. Yeah, you might find some lighter, but by how much; 2-4 lbs.?

Pbassmanca, mikewalker and Zbysek like this.
  14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

The head within the case probably weighs about the same as the cab..but it’s an awesome combination..

The Revsound RS210 is a great lightweight cab along with the other great brands mentioned.. 09A83FDD-87B1-46BB-BA9E-52241D5E2C39.

Pbassmanca, Jesuguru, kpc and 2 others like this.
  15. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    You want a barefaced super compact. 23 lbs. Deep tight loud...no tweeter. Mine just kills in any situation that a 2x10 would cover.

16. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Yes ..the SC cabinet is amazing!

monsterthompson and mikewalker like this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Well my Markbass 1x12 combo is only 32 lbs and crazy scary loud! The matching NY121 cab only should be lighter and is only a 14" cube.

Pbassmanca and mikewalker like this.
  18. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I use 2 1x10s with replaced neo speakers. Under 20 lbs each. Easy to move, transport and can place them on either side of stage. Get 4 ohms, so full amp output. Sounds really good too. Resized_20180519_103906.

Pbassmanca, PaulJSmith and mikewalker like this.
  19. HI Mike;

You may want to take a look at the Genzler lineup. Lots of folks going with stacked single 10's and are raving about them. I went from a 100lb 410 cab to a 32lb single 12 and love it. If you're near the GTA there is a store in Mississauga carrying Genzler so you can hear them first.

Pbassmanca, Loring and mikewalker like this.
  20. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Do tell... I'm going to be out that way in April on tour, and I'm always looking for ways to kill the day when the sun is up...

Pbassmanca likes this.