1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So what's the deal with buying a Moollon Classic P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rgleason87, Dec 2, 2014.

1. rgleason87

rgleason87

Mar 6, 2012
    After hearing pretty much only good things about the Moollon Classic P (especially from reading or watching everything Tim Lefebvre has to say about his Moollon's) I'm very curious about picking up one of these basses.

I have a 90's Mexican P that just does not do it for me whatsoever along with an American P5 (so killer, absolutely love a P with a low B) and a custom build Warmoth/Fender PJ. I'm looking for a high end 4 string P that really inspires me to play straight P's more. I know that I could go Fender Custom Shop, Lakland, Wilkins, etc., but I'm really curious about the Moollon's as an option.

Anybody got any info about where in the US you can pick one of these up?

Thanks!

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
  3. rgleason87

rgleason87

Mar 6, 2012
    I've checked out the dealer page before and it looks like nobody almost ever has any Moollon's in stock. Is this more of a custom order kind of situation as far as anyone knows? It's kind of funny that they're so hard to find considering their Classic J5 was just featured in Bass Player this month.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If they're still relatively unknown in the U.S. that would be why no one is stocking them. No demand.

5. rgleason87

rgleason87

Mar 6, 2012
    They need to step up the demand. People are loving these basses for all I hear! :)

Seriously though they sound like they're absolutely killer. I'd love to get my hands on one. Custom-built might not be such a bad thing though. Maybe you could get into some awesome rare colors? I'm picturing a beautiful Capri Orange Moollon Classic P similar to the Fender International Series colors from the 80's. Oh to dream...

fender68 likes this.
  6. They don't even have that big a presence here in Korea, from what I've seen. Like it or not, the vast majority of guitars and basses made in Korea are beginner-level stuff for domestic players, or mid-range stuff to export to Europe and NA (Schecters, LTDs, etc). Moollon is pretty much the closest Korea comes to a "boutique" builder, and they have hard enough time getting a foothold in their own country, where the prestige brands tend to be the big American names (which are all seriously overpriced here). It's possible they just haven't quite reached the levels of success yet that they need to be able to expand outside of Korea to any meaningful extent.

I'll admit I've been eyeing them myself for the three years I've been here, but have somehow managed to resist the urge thus far. If they made a P/J, I might not be able to resist it.

Regarding them doing customs, I know they do make customs, but I'm fairly sure the bulk of their business is still their P and J Classics (and their S and T Classic guitars), which tend to be limited to more traditional colors. That said, there is a sparkle red P Classic on a Korean site that caught my eye and wouldn't let it go for a while...

http://www.schoolmusic.co.kr/Shop/index.php3?var=Good&Good_no=26560

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I gave up trying to source one from a U.S. dealer. I vaguely recall that someone had one here and was selling it, but that's about it. I guess being Tim Lefebvre has its perks!

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    when Moollon was first getting recognition for their effects they were hard to buy ..Korea or otherwise - The guys at Freebird in Hapjeong (the guitar store, not the music bar) could get them and had a direct contact to the dealer...that was a few years ago...there MUST be a presence at Nagwon Arcade..ask the GCat guys if nothing else....or the Swing guys..shared factories and what not..

9. Oh, I know where I can buy them. There are several online retailers that carry them these days, and I saw a few at the large music mall in Insadong last year. They aren't anywhere near as common as the cheaper Korean brands like Swing, Corona, or Dame, but they're definitely out there. I just don't think they're quite big enough to be doing much business outside of Korea just yet.

10. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    You can contact Andreas via their website. As of a couple of days ago the had a few non-committed P's that will be ready in about a month.

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    I was trying to refrain myself to reply to these Moollon treads, but after having worked on half a dozen (!) of them here in L.A., I gotta say I'm a little disappointed...
    All of them needed fret work, the details of fit and finish not very high.
    They did sound "fender" authentic, though!

de1orean likes this.
  12. Tim Craig

Feb 5, 2004
    Interesting for sure...Bass Player Mag just reviewed a Moollon J5 and raved about it FWIW.

13. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :facepalm: Bass Player Mag is not the bass bible! ;)

gillento, TalHaz and howlin like this.
  14. Tim Craig

Feb 5, 2004
    Didn't say it was...simply posting a position contrary to yours. Is there a bass bible? ;)

15. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Ahh, but it WAS before the internet :)

k35string likes this.
  16. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Just had another one… jazz bass fretless, pretty much new (2/3 months) and the owner is complaining it was buzzing here and there even with a mid-hi action…. so I took a look….

Honestly, if you are trying to hit the high market with an instrument, wouldn't you play it and test it before shipping it out?

The fretboard needed big time dress work and it ended up needing a refinish! … not the end of the world, but I can understand this from a $300 squier, but that bad from a 2/3G instrument?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Axstar likes this.
  17. continuo

continuo

Nov 29, 2015
    Guys, sorry for reviving this thread, but...

I am desperately trying to contact moollon. I wrote e-mails to the address they have on their web-page, but didn't get any response. Apart from this e-mail, I don't know of any way to contact them.

So my question would be if they are still in business and if someone knows how I can contact them?

Any suggesstions are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Fabian

18. Chris Tarry

Chris Tarry

Mar 20, 2000
    New York
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon Basses, D'Addario, Markbass, GruvGear
    I've been playing Moollon's exclusively for the past three or so years, and they are without a doubt the best basses I've ever played. The best way to buy them is by contacting Andi Roseland, I usually point people towards his Facebook page: Facebook

Drop him a line, he'll point you in the right direction.

19. continuo

continuo

Nov 29, 2015
    I actually ordered a bass already! They were busy with the NAMM2016 which is why I didn't get an answer instantly... thanks for the advice!

20. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Curious about these as well. I have my beloved USA Glaub, a very early one, which I keep strung up with flats. But, I could use a second P to string up with rounds;)
    Been seeing the Moolons getting attention lately---how would they compare to my Glaub in build, etc.?