1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So whats the deal with Fender and Sunn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Holy War, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Im trying to do some sunn research and it seems that everything I look for directs me to Fender. Does Fender now own sunn, and if so, are they going to start making new product? Or are their new sunn's out there that you can buy and Im just missing them somehow?

2. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not sure when the acquisiton took place, but I think Fender quit production of Sunn stuff in 2002 or so.

3. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Sunn was bought by Fender in the last century. They discontinued production in 2002. Why is a damned good question. I haven't heard of any plans to start back up but they still own the name. Sunn was originally started by the bassist from the the band called The Kingsmen (Louie Louie)
    in the 1960's. His name is Norm Sundholm.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ya, i honestly think the market could use a few more all tube heads. im tired of seeing svts and 400+s everywhere

5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    This is just my opinion but I do think that Fender's original plan was to bring SUNN back up to again be one of the most prominent amp lines like they were in their heyday. Possibly to even have SUNN make Fender amps too.

Then along came the buying of Fender in 85 by Bill Schultz and the Fender employee's and Fender having to build a new factory and save Fender's reputation from the damage done by CBS. I do think it was a case of Fender's main concern had to be Fender first. SUNN just went by the wayside.

The Fender Bassman 300 is basically a beefed up version of the SUNN Model T. They are a nice powerful head. There was one local here on CL for $900.00 with a SUNN 2-15 cab. A good deal I think for a big tube head and cabinet.

The old SUNN 2000S is a great low wattage tube head. If you find one, grab it! For SUNN info, the SUNN pages over at Ampage Music Electronics Forum are the best bet.

Keep Low :bassist:

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    maybe its me, but i can't find a single similarity between a point to point Sunn Model T and a PCB Bassman 300 other than they both use 6550's.

i find it funny that Fender made the Sunn 300T, then discontinued it and renamed it the Bassman 300. maybe they felt it was such a good amp that it shouldn't have the Sunn name and it should have a Fender badge on it? either way, IMO its nothing like a real Sunn amp.

7. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    What other sunn amps besides the 300t are tube?

8. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Never seen the guts of the 300T. I guess I should have said that they look similar and are both big tube amps. I've played through both a Model T and a 300T though and they do have similar tone. Again my opinion.

IMO The fact that Fender renamed that head is a good indication of what direction they ended up going with the SUNN name.

Keep Low :bassist:

9. redstaraudio

redstaraudio Commercial User

Jan 24, 2008
    Owner, Redstar Audio
    we know a guy that has 2 Sunn 300 amps, and we tried to get him to sell us one of them for years, but he never would, so we finally ended up buying a Fender Bassman 300. As far as we could tell, it was just like the Sunn 300s (not the Sunn 300T, the 300 bass version) he has. Granted, we didn't A/B test with the Fender, but we have played his before and our Fender performs (our opinion) the same.