Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what's the deal with the Ibanez ATK???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 3, 2004.

1. So what is the deal with them?? I'm talking about the ATK 400, i saw one in a british guitar mag, and i've been hooked ever since! why aren't they available in the US? i have seen some floating around the us, but they are older models. were they ever available in the US? i was going to get one, but my friend who works at a guitar store said it would be expensive, and as much much as i like the atk, i'd rather spend 700 dollars on a lakland skyline.
    Charlie

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They were for a couple of years, then they went out of production. Can be had on E-bay for about $350 +/-.

I had a rather nice one that I belive now belongs to Rojo412 here on TB.

They're very nice basses, however. No need to go paying $700 for one.

Here's a pic to make it easier:

[​IMG]

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Don't forget to mention that it used to belong to me. Its been passed around more than my ex-girlfriend.

I'm really starting to miss that thing, along with my Ibanez EDC 705. The EDC 715 looks like a nice compromise.

~Patrick

4. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    you sure about that? ;)

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but do you count? You had it for about, what, a week?

That's like the girl walked up to you in the bar, said hello, and walked off. You didn't even get to know her. :D

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Are you kidding?! I couldn't put that thing down for the week that I owned it. I fell in love with her. I just found an amazing oppurtunity on a new Stingray that I could not pass up. In fact, I'm prolly gonna try to find another one like it once I get some money.

~Patrick

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah. So you DID get her number. :D

I really liked that bass, but I needed a PA more, so it's proceeds went towards some vocal amplifcation units.

Shame, too. Oh well, if I ever want another one, I'm sure they can be found.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you import from Japan, you can get a brand new one shipped for about 58,000 yen, or $542.76.

9. The ATK is out of production ( blasphemy ! :spit: ), but they did get a worthy sucsessor :

the Ibanez RKB. I really can't wait to get my hands on one of these motha's :eek: :eek:

- Badass Bass II bridge
    - Bassline SPB3 Neck PU
    - Bassline SJB3B Bridge PU

[​IMG]

10. Hmm....in Germany they're still for sale.....€ 509! Looks nice!!

11. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    i own an ATK 305(?). The 5 stringed with only the triple coil. After that ibanez started making models with a single coil in bridge position. Howevwe mine was one of the first to came in italy. I must say it has a great neck, like all ibanez do; you can make the typical Korn sound, it can sound more or less like a stingray, more or less like a pbass... everything , but more or less... i mean these basses ain't got balls.. they have a good sound, they are easy to play, but no personality.
    my opinion

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Played one of them, not too bad, but it didn't compare to an ATK in tone and they're crazy expensive!

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
  14. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    One of my best friends has one. (Actually now, I think he's sealed the deal on a second one.)

He and I have totally different tastes in basses. But we both like that bass. And as a general rule, neither of us like Ibanez basses. That makes it extraordinary.

[I think his is a 300-series, if that means anything to anyone.]

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, I love mine, an ATK 300L with B E A D tuning, it sounds pretty damn mean. The only sound clip I have right now is a not-so-excellent recording I did with my band, sans vocals, and with lackluster timing. :oops:

Tried to attach an mp3, hope it works.

Guess it didn't, go, go, gadget crappy webspace.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/phxl/misc/crappy2.mp3

16. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think this thread deserves a little bump.

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Of all the basses I've had and let go, I miss the ATK300 that I had the most.

If you get your hands on one of these babies, DON'T sell or trade it. You'll regret it.

18. Are the ATK400's as good as the 300's? 'Cause these are still available in Europe....for about 500 euros..........

(The 400's are the ones with the xtra singlecoil)

19. Wauw! I love the sound of your bass in that clip...!!! If the ATK 400 sounds like that.....then.....then....then.......will i have to save up some cash.....:bassist: :rolleyes: :D

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Thanks! Keep in mind that the ATK 400 has different pickups, a mahogany body as opposed to an ash body, and probably different electronics as well, though.

My ATK's clean sound is perfect to complement the syths my band uses. I also use the low B string a lot, and it's really decent.
    We once gigged with a jam-rock type band whose bassist played a MIM Jazz fiver, and once he heard me play a few notes on my low B string he asked me if I was a magician. :D

As for the recording, I think I played my ATK through my Tech G-300 solid state amp and we recorded the line-in output.

I had the pickup switch in the leftmost position (allegedly the most Stingray-esque setting), my active EQ set to flat and the volume knob turned all the way up. My amp's EQ, too, was disabled. No effects. I don't think any effects were added during the mix.