Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So whats the deal with Yorkville?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Dec 10, 2003.

1. I always hear about david eden, ampeg, swr, but i never really hear that much rave abou yorkville, and i think that yorkvilles actually get really good tone. Now im goin from memory because i havent played one recently, but i have an ampeg setup right now and im pretty sure that i liked the soun comin out of the york better. Are they not that well made or something like that, because i dont hear too much about them.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    They are very well made, just not as popular because they're from canada.

3. Yeah, I love mine, sry for never doing that review ox, I just hate doing them :) . They are awesome bang for buck, and I can get a huge variety of tones. Also with the built in compressor and overdrive, those are really the only effects you need. But yeah, as ox said you don't see much of them because they are owned by L&M, which is a canadian music store. You can find them if you ask around a bit in the states.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    www.musiciansfriend.com

5. whoa, crazy, I didn't think musiciansfriend carried yorkville. I guess they are alot easier to find than I thought.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They're good for hosers.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I just have to say this, a little OT, but it's been buggin me since I saw the thread title.

What's the deal with Ovaltine??.....Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it Round-tine.

That's gold, Jerry!..........GOLD!

-Mike

8. If you're going to say it you have to do it correctly...

They're good for hosers, eh?

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They're made in Canada.

I tried one, and it added an A on the end of each line. ;)

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I tried to use one at a gig in an ice rink and it started a fight. :D

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Actually, Yorkville power amps are very highly regarded among many live sound pros. I'd say they're definitely up-and-comers.

And they make you want to drink LaBatt's. ;)

12. i HATE Labatts. Thats skanky manitoba beer. Nothing against people from manitoba, I just don't like labatts. Oh, and a friend of mine and I messed around with a yorkville pa setup that L&M made for us, it was wicked. I'm a Canadian, or alexander kieths, or corona man myself. :)

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Man, I LOVE my yorkville's. I have a 50 watt that was made in 2000 I believe and a 200 watt made in 2003. I've had the 50 watt for about 2 years now, and the 200 watt for about 6 months. No problems at all with either of them, they were cheap to buy (looked around for good deals), sound great, long warranties, and the 200 watt looks nice:D .

If you don't have a Yorkville and need a dependable amp go get one!

14. yeah, labatts is gross, not one of the better beer's here. keiths and clancy's is where its at! mooshead green and red are pretty good too
    i've got a traynor monoblock II (pre-yorkville yorkville) and it is awsome, cheap, realiable and good sounding, if you dont like it, something like a BBE or SansAmp will quickly settle that problem and you're left with a great rig and extra money in your pocket

15. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I bought a 400B head and avatar 410 cab a few months back and it works great as a backup/practice amp. Good clean sound and loud as you need to be. Nice EQ as well with the optional graphic and slap contour options.

The Gain pot is a bit scratchy on it though. I need to either clean it or replace it.

16. Well, that is my only b#@%* about this amp, my scoop pot scratches a little bit, not much though, and my parametric mid does it, but barely. I have noticed that my pots wiggle a bit if I move it left to right, and my gain pot is much tighter than any of the others. I don't think it is much to complain about. If you just adjust it like one normally would, at high volumes it is not really noticable on the scoop or mid, which are the only ones that do that.

Is there really any good way to fix that?

yeah, guiness

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Is the entire pot loose, or just the shaft?

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The reason for the change to plastic pots from aluminum was due to the fact that plastic pots have a little bend to them, so they don't snap as easily as aluminum pots, which have little to no bend.

I can't keep the XS400 or XS400H in stock, and I've had no complaints of scratchy pots whatsoever. A pop survey of ON L&M stores sez no complaints either. The bass player in Jeff Healey's band is using a head and a 4x10, and trust me, if there was in issue with noisey pots, then it wouldn't be part of their backline. I certainly wouldn't have used a prototype that I had for a 5 days for two rehearsals and performances if my audience/congregation was going to hear noise like that. I myself am really really picky.

Sorry some of you guys seem to have had bad experiences. I've been in touch with some folks at Yorkville, and they're taking a look at it.

Either way, the amp sounds great...going to delegate my SWR rig to practice and get an XS rig for live stuff...

:D

19. This is wierd, but the scratchy pots seem to have gone. I just pulled off the knobs and and blew them out, so it must have just been dust. umm, the knobs seem loose and wiggle, but is this just because of the plastic rods? I think it is, but not sure. It is a little wierd though that they all seem looser, and then the gain is noticably tougher, but it all still works I guess.

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wow, now I think i'm gonna forget about the bassman 135 and get the yorkville. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

One thing, does the tube OD circuit give more sustain, and can it be used for bass feedback?