Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So what's the difference....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikgag, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    ....between :

1)DOD 250
    2)MXR M-80
    3)Digitech Bad Monkey

Aren't they all basically the same pedal???

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Try them. You'll notice the difference.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well for one thing, the M80 is a DI and Preamp as well as distortion. The other 2 are more overdrive-like.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    are you saying you've looked at all the mfr's specs and you don't see any difference?

5. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

Not really, but after reading reviews here I'm getting the impression that they're REALLY similar. In a nutshell, I'm looking for something with a mild warm grind. I used to have a BDDI and LOVED the subtle grind I got with a certain setting, but I can't justufy buying another one ($$) and I agree about the "mid-sucking" of the BDDI. I sounds like the Fulltone is exactly what I want, but I can't spend that kind of $ either. I'm hoping when I get my MAG300 in a week or two I get close with just cranking the input gain.....

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Cranking the input gain on the mag won't give you a nice gritty sound, if you had an ABM it would.

I think you are thinking of the MXR Distortion Plus which is nearly the same as the DOD 250.

I've had the dod 250 and still own the mxr m-80 and they are nothing alike, the dod is good for the money the mxr is just plain great but then I'm using it more as a 2 channel di/preamp which is how most people use it. The distortion on it is good but not like wow, hold me I'm in heaven.

I'd say you can't go wrong with the dod 250 for a light bit of grit in your sound but there are far better pedals out there for that purpose like the sansamp. But the more gain you have on the dod the less bass you get through.

7. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

yeah....that's what I meant.....ooops.

8. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    The one thing that is putting me off about getting another Sansamp is the fact that I had to crank the volume up either when it went through the loop or into the passive input. I found the BDDI's output weak.... :(

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Not really heard that problem before I think there is a 10db boost on the sansamp that boosts it up to line level or something close. If you don't like the sansamp have a look at the fulltone bass drive way better just as a standalone od pedals

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just about nothing in common, honestly. Trust me, play them and your ears will show you a HUGE difference, especially between the first two.

11. I've not had that problem with my BDDI, but then again 85% of the time I'm using 48V of Phantom Power...Even when I used an adapter, the output was fabulous...I'm getting a distortion to put before it to give it a boost, and get that Sansamp Grind goin on...

DWB

12. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I think I may just get the Behringer BDI21, put my old Sansamp settings on it and if it sounds just as good, I'll spray paint the casing yellow and write "Grind Box" across the front in black marker.... :D