1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, what's the NEW Trace range like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by markorbit, May 14, 2006.

1. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    Being a Trace user in the 80s, I have a soft spot for them. When the new Trace range was announced I saw the pics and thought they looked a bit cheap (especially the sliders) compared to the 'classic' design. I'm currently using Ampeg V4BH as I do like the bottle of real tube, but there is a bit of mud in the tone.

Now though, I'm starting to like the new Trace look and wonder how they sound. The 12 band head seems to have just the right amount of essential features - valve drive/blend, flexible 12 band EQ and flexible hi/lo compression - almost everything I need in one amp and nothing more. A simple plug and play solution.

I remember the Trace's being clear and punchy, albeit with the Trace tone. I wonder if this new valve circuit would add enough tubey-ness to satisfy that side of things.

Anyone had any experience with the new Trace line? Are they made up to the same quality as before? They are looking tempting...

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I've got a 98 AH600SMX which has a ss/valve preamp blend. I've got mine full on valve at the moment, it sounds awesome, much warmer than full on solid state, just sounds fatter and rounder... If that makes sense. I assume it will be roughly the same deal with the new range. I agree about the sliders too, prefer the old style ones.

IMG_0900.

IMG_0914.

3. They still doing the blacklight on the face panel? I still think that's a great idea for an interesting effect and functionality on a dim stage.

4. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    that is from 98, I don't think it is the same as the new line

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I know, but mark asked 'I wonder if this new valve circuit would add enough tubey-ness to satisfy that side of things.' I was explaining that my '98 had an ss/valve blend, and that yes it did sound tubey. I wasn't suggesting they were the same amp.

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH