Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So What's Up With Slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by swampshark, Jan 13, 2005.

1. LET'S TALK ABOUT SLAPPIN' THE STRINGS. TELL ME ALL YOU KNOW ABOUT SLAP. PERSONAL TECHNIQUES, LIKES DISLIKES. ANY DIE-HARD FUNK LOVIN' SLAPPERS OUT THERE? :bassist:

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I slap quite a bit but this should really be in technique.

3. Oh yeah.. just figured that out. but on the contrary.. what KIND of bass do you slap??? :hyper:

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one with strings.

off to technique :)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    seriously, you can slap any bass around. just takes practice.

6. has anyone seen Les Claypool trying to slap his upright bass on the Primus DVD? It didn't quite work

7. He tried to slap it like an electric? :eyebrow:

Upright slap is a totally different technique than electric slap.

8. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    "seriously, you can slap any bass around. just takes practice."

Try telling that to my Yamaha BB4N...THE most unslappable bass there is......even after a nice setup.
    It just goes THUD,THUD.
    Pathetic.

LEB

9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Lyle and I both know that Kubicki's are great for slapping. :smug:

10. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Ever slapped an Ashbory? :D

Troll

11. Or a washtub bass? :eek:

12. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    slapping should be banned.

:bag:

:D

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow...I'm only 17, and I'm tired of slap. I can't imagine how much I'll dislike it when I'm an old codger like Bruce!

14. After 14 years of playing, I've just begun getting into slap and tap...

15. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    IMHO slapping is really tailored for certain styles of music. But it has to be done tastefully . You get some guys that slap on every single song they play and it just does not sound right. I can play with my fingers, a pick, or slapping. I realized a few years back that I have to be versatile to express myself properly in music. Being a gospel player you rarely see anybody play with a pick but I discovered by broadening my horizons that there is a sound and feel that only a pick can give you. ;) ;)

I still love slap and I practice whenever I can to improve it because slapping feels so rhythmic. It is just a different way to express yourself. :smug: :smug:

16. I think Marcus Miller is just about the most tasteful slapper ever - mainly becasue every note he plays, when he slaps, just hits the mark - beautiful timig and very little wanking - great all round player anyway...

17. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I agree with you on MM. He is very tasteful. When I hear him play it sounds so clean and tight but when I try it I realize that it takes years of practice to get that good. To play slap well does take time and practice. :cool:

18. Marcus is the slap king. Every note is so perfectly chosen and clean. He has an amazing tone and style.

Slapping is just another way to express yourself. Even pure wankery is cool in the right situation. Like any technique, it comes down to its appropriateness in a given musical context. But when you're playing alone at home, I can't see a problem with picking up the technique for your own personal improvement, or to use as part of a solo, etc. And if you can make it work like Larry Graham or Marcus, then you've got an amazing tool at your disposal.

19. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    not to derail but any song recs?
    thanks

20. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Swampshark, are you right handed?

If you are, then I have three words for you, that will change your slappin' life: "left hand slap".

Ignore all that thumb-pluck stuff, that's for beginners, and dweebs who don't "get it" (and never will).

When it comes to slap, the left hand is where it's at.

And if you're right-brained, just switch everything around. :D