Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, what's wrong with Spector Euro basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Oct 19, 2005.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    My local store has a used Spector Euro 4-string for sale. Looks awesome (blue high gloss finish), and plugged in it sounds huge. Even the bridge pickup alone has some serious bottom. So I go to completed listings on Ebay and nobody is buying these basses even at prices much lower than what the store is selling it for! Is there a known "issue" with these Czech-made Spectors that I don't know about?

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i heard something about crackling issues?

3. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    My friend got one and there kinda like the ovation of bass:(

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I don't know of any known issues, kind of curious myself. I just picked up a brand new Euro 5 in black cherry for an awesome price.I have not noticed any issues with this bass what so ever. The only complaint so far is the narrow bridge chanel that wont readily accept a .130 B string. How much do they want for the used Euro ?

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The only "issue" that I've heard of is that the Tone Pump preamp is very high-output, but that's only an issue if you don't understand the principle of volume controls. In fact the Euro Spectors are known for being both the best "bang for the buck" in any price range as well as the best midrange version of a high-end model (USA-made Spectors)

I think that it's simply a matter of the market being in a bit of a slump - perhaps that people have less disposable cash in general (The Hurricane situations, rising gas prices, the holidays approaching, etc)

6. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY

economy stinks, asking prices on ebay for everything are taking a dive, fenders have even dropped some. gibsons held steady. everything else is dropping, doesn't help that gas is 2.50+

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I haven't found anything wrong with the ones I have played. In fact, I still plan on owning one someday. But, that'll be a ways down the road, unless a really good deal comes my way that I just can't pass up. :)

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I had a Czech Spector...the predecessor of the Euro. It had a few things that became issues for me. First of all, it was HEAVY. The neck was very round and uncomfortable. The Aguilar Preamp and EMG pickups were EXTREMELY high output,..it pretty much would overdrive any preamp I tried.

On the postive side, it was a beautiful bass, and it sounded great (when I could control the extra hot output).

9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I think that they are great. excellent value, especially when used.

10. I'm trying to sell my NS4CR Spector to no avail. I figured I get $700 no problem. The bass is great. I love it. The only reason I am selling it is because I want a 6 string, otherwise I would keep it. It is solid, it sounds thick and punchy and looks awesome too. I actually had about 25 people linked to it, but no bids. Oh well, maybe it is just not the "hot" thing right now or like stated above. . .people just don't have the extra money to spend due to natural disasters and overpriced gas.

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    No issues..... great basses.

Just no money around for most people at the moment & great deals to be had 'new' at shops & online.

12. I bought a euro rebop 5 about a month ago. The output of the tonepump is very hot. I plug the bass into the line input of my desk and at unity gain the low B pumps out over +10db with the E and A at zero. Sounds great but needs compression to contain the lows. IMO this bass is tonaly versatile and great to play.

13. Spectors rock. The Euro rocks. Buy one!

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

so its a good instrument?/

beause ovation guitars is very nice
    and sound even better, especiallthe really good ones

15. +1

Ovation have been making very fine guitars for years, just as Spector have been making superb basses since the 70s at least!

(I've noticed that a lot of people in the UK though see Spectors as a kind of cheap knock off of Warwick Streamers, little realising that the Spector NS was the original way back in the day.)

16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am really liking my new Euro neck thru. It is not often that I find a bass that is as comfortable as this one. I love the neck and smooth playability. I am in the process of taking out the tone pump and putting in the EMG BQC system. This will give me Bass, treble, mid controll with frequency selector, blend and volume. All of these controlls have a center detent. I do not like the limited controll I have with the tone pump ( vol. vol. bass and treble + only). I'll let you guys know how it goes.

17. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have a Euro 4 (pre-LX) and it's an exceptional bass. With a maple body, it's really heavy (the new LX's have alder bodies with maple tops). Like cheezwiz said, the output is super hot too. But I'm just picking nits. It's a hell of a nice bass.

Tom

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You think it's hard to move a Euro at those prices, it took me three months to move a USA at $500 less than those prices.

The economy sucks.