So... What's your favorite Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Many of us own Fenders, many of us don't own Fenders, and many of us have owned them in the past. Whatever the case, what is your FAVORITE Fender? Mine would have to be the Marcus Miller Jazz but i really like the Geddy Lee as well.
  2. I would love a Reggie Hamilton 5, or one of those old NAMM 6 string prototypes. Neither one of those dreams is going to happen anytime soon though, so I'll just continue to begrudgingly love my MIA J 5.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never owned a Fender but i really like the 68 paisly Telecaster bass.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Have you played one? The neck is a baseball bat and the pickup sounds awful. Looks fun though, I've got to admit!

USA Standard Jazz. The Geddy's a better value, but I love the USA Jazz sound (on a well-made one, I've heard a couple that sound like monkeybutt.)
  5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    For style give me an aerodyne jazz, for vibe a classic 60's :)
  6. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    for style, class & value, gimme a geddy :)
  7. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    That's exactly what I was going to say. :)
  8. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Unthinkable for me to say this, but I acctually GASed for a Squier Jazz days ago, dunno, but that little dude was the black sheep of its batch for certain, what a barking tone it had.

then again maybe it was the EBS gorm's fault...:bag: :D
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think the Geddy Lee Jazz looks great too, but there are four other basses in local stores that I think are great. Two are burnt orange American Jazzes, the other is a sunburst USA Precision with a maple fingerboard. The final one is a black sparkle USA Precision with a rosewood board and an S-1 switch.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^ i was looking at those. I tihnk the body shape is kinda weird.
  11. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    This is my favorite..(Fender, that is...)

But then again, that is my favorite Ric, too!!
  12. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.

'57 Fender Precision reissue, refinished black w/chrome pick guard, Moses graphite neck, Dimarzio Willpower Middle pickup, Dimarzio X2N-B bridge pickup, series/parallel switch for rear pup, Badass II bridge.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the production models, the Geddy Lee without a doubt.

Jeff Rader has this Custom Shop Jaco Relic that is simply amazing.
  14. RMay

Dec 5, 2003
    American Standard Jazz (well-made) is solid goodness. The Geddy Lee is a close 2nd place.
    I still wonder about the binding on the Geddy Lee jazz neck. I and a GC store employee believe we witnessed a Geddy neck that had a moderate scratch through the black(binding?) to the maple wood. Beside that the Geddy's are often very playable and sound great.
  15. Me too
  16. American Deluxe J, all the way. The preamp and pickups are highly competitive with the ones found in high end boutique basses, and the build quality, in my experience, is usually better than the MIA standard.
  17. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    +1 :bassist:
  18. I love my fender bullett bass... MIA '80
    The action is like no other... it plays like a guitar
    and for a fender it picks up alot of tone. I can slap it all day
    it is a shortie... one setback
  19. Roscoe Beck 5, red finish with white PG hands down.

Although Geddy is a close second...