so what's your ideas on this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by levowen, Sep 19, 2000.

1. levowen

Aug 30, 2000
    so would this be a good idea or bad? regardless of whatever head unit I got (it'd have to depend on my speaker output) But from my left over car stereo, I've got 2 10" pyle drivers and a 700 watt amp(12 volt but a transformer wouldn't be a problem with a good fuse).

Any way if I got another 15" say put it in it's own cabinet and put two two.. say 3" ports adding breath ability and snagging a coil to to say 80khz and then the two 10s in their own cabinet ported 3" probably a 4 foot box would give it proper volume properties and capped those off at 40mf.. hmm what do people think?

Is the 15 coiled to low? and to get the higher octives should I throw some 6's in there capped at 200khz?

Oh and of course the wood is MDF.. throw some carpet on there to make it look nice, platic port inserts... and maybe some poly covers to guard against any road damage..
  2. levowen

Aug 30, 2000
    Oh ya and some suggestions on amps? (the 700 watt would probably be best recycled into another car audio application).
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Joris could answer this best i think
  4. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Joris would definitely know best on this, though I have two things to add:

1) Almost all car-audio suwoofers that I've seen have pretty low efficiency ratings: you put a ton of power in but don't get much out. Keep that in mind.

2) I would go ahead and "recycle" the car-audio amp. In my opinion, I'm not so sure that I'd trust a transformer to be powering my bass rig, especially on an outdoor concert on a hot/sunny day as every transformer I've ever used gets fairly warm. Don't know how much truth is in that, but that's my opinion.

Amps will depend upon the sound and features that you want as well as wattage. I've heard great things about Eden, SWR, and GK. Heard good things about Hartke and Ampeg as well. Try as many as you can out to find out what suits you the best.

I did a similar thing (building a cabinent using car-audio subs) and there is definitely a volume drop as compared to using a higher-efficienct bass guitar speaker. Overall the sound isn't too bad, though a bit compressed for me (though that probably has more to do with the speaker itself). Overall, it doesn't sound too bad though.
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The transformer would reduce your voltage but it would still be AC current. You would need a 12VDC power supply rated at high enough amperage to handle the car amp. Save it for another car.
  6. 700 Watts / 12 Volts = 58.3 Amps DC

You would need a transformer and rectifier rated at about 60 Amps on the 12 V side. It ain't worth it. You would be going from 120VAC to 12VAC to 12VDC, and then inside the amp, back up to about +/- 60VDC.

7. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    If you have the parameters for the speakers, this site can be helpful in design. WK is right about the efficiency thing. I built a cab with (2) 96db 10" speakers and have to really push my amp to get the volume, but they compliment the 15 well. Another thing to consider is response. A lot of car subs only get up to like 1k hz and you really want to cover up to at least 7k.