Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So when is Zon going off-shore?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    What with Conklin, Tobias, Curbow, Spector, Lakland and now Sadowsky going off-shore to bring a lower priced model to the bass buying public...

Who will be next? I really don't see George Furlanetto going outside of Canada. But maybe Joe Zon might. Maybe Fodera? Who knows?

I'm waiting for the Korean version of the Walter Wood:)

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Don't hold your breath waiting on Joe Z to do that, he's told me himself point-blank: "Never". Vinne at Fodera said essentially the same to me when I visited his shop.

...there are others that are going to though...

:oops:

No further comment at this time! :p

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    When I discussed this with Joe, he gave me a look that scared me...seriously. He will never do this.

4. Given that the cost of making a carbon-fiber neck is mostly tied up in capital, and not in labor, it wouldn't be any cheaper to make a carbon-fiber-necked bass in Korea or China since, in general, machinery is the same price as or even more expensive than it is here. I can't imagine Modulus, Status, or Zon ever doing the Far East thing.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    perhaps I am being naive but I have extra respect for Fodera and Zon in that they aren't doing the overseas cheaper bass thing...I think not doing the overseas thing will add longterm to their legacy and reputation

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Pete, LOVE your signature. That is TOO funny :)

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i'm thinking pedulla will be next...

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...no...

:p

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    TELL US, YOU GOOFY LOOKING BASTICH!

Er...Gard, do you think you could drop some clues, withough actually telling us, so that any sworn to secrecy acts would not be violated?

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

You, callin' ANYONE goofy lookin' is really funny.

:D

No. Sorry.

:p

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fap fap fap. :D (In joke)

You should tell us. All of us. Now.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Why are you makin' that funny face dude...

:eek:

I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

No, really, I'd have to kill you!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The first martyr of the Revolution would like to report that smoke grenades detonate upon flushing.

TELL US!

14. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Eventually mass produced instrument like bass, guitar, amps, cabs etc will move to Korea /Taiwan then China or other Asian country.
    There are thousands of company in this region who can sub contract the job. Honestly speaking for a standard quality instrument is not a high tech.
    Labour in this area is really cheap and they work extra hour.
    Average wages per month is US 80 with 160 hoursto 200 hours working time. They can operate any Planner or Router or Sanding machine easily.
    Who can beat them?
    In my country we have several guitar/bass factories including foreign investor like: Korean Samick, Cort, Yamaha, etc...
    Samick makes 40,000 bass and guitar permonth for some famous brand in the world like Fender, Washburn, Aria , Ibanez etc and employs nearly 3000 worker.
    Yamaha is even bigger with over 10000 worker .....
    My Korean friend at Samick use to give me their proto type of guitar or bass to try. I found out that they do it nicely.
    Their export price ... average US 40 a piece...;)

15. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    An instrument made with *quality* components will have much more than US $40 in parts alone. If Samick can export a completed instrument at that price, including labor, materials, overhead and profiit, well, that right there tells you volumes about the "quality" of their products.

A mass produced bass or guitar is less than ten hours of labor. There will always be people who will be willing to pay the extra price for US labor and US made quality.

16. For a mass-produced instrument, there is little or no difference between American and Korean labor. None. CNC machines have pretty much eliminated that.

And US-made quality? Do you mean the Gibson guitars with orange-peel finishes and green necks?

So yes, there will always be people who are willing to pay extra for a Made in the USA tag on a mass-production instrument; the technical term for such a person is "foolish."

Now, if we're talking about handmade instruments...

17. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    The price of a good CNC machine made in Korea, China and Taiwan is only 1/4 of American made .Never the less,
    making guitar is not only CNC processing, many other steps involved, Timber kilning, , material preparation [ sawing , triming , preplaning, thicknessing, gluing ,etc] then come routing , shaping etc, then come the finishing [sanding,colouring sanding etc], fretting , joining, electronic set up etc.. These process involve factory over head. Last but not least is general overhead.
    Look at Lakland price how much the difference , eventhough they say the set up is still done in USA.
    I bet they make more money from Skyline than from US version;)
    This mass produced basses still need a final set up to bring the quality to a higher stage, thats what the luthiers do.
    The US 40 Samick guitar ,of course is lack of luthiers touch or set up and good pick up or hard ware plus the wood is not selected individually to meet a resonant tone wood required.
    I was lucky to received from them a Fender guitar prototype sample with Grover hardware, and after I changed the pick up to Fishman, it sounds like Taylor 514 which I have:D

Watch out when the Korean or China improve their guitar craftmanship, they will compete with US big names at par quality with 1/4 of the price.

Look at the electronic industry ....:)

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And even more who are unable or unwilling to pay the extra cost.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    True...

and people might want to bear in mind that "never" is not necessarily a very long time;)

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Peavey was able to make a composite neck bass at a relative bargain price, I can see any of these builders jumping on the higher production bandwagon, contrary to what some are being told.