So, when you drive a tough car, people try to race you...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jun 5, 2005.

1. This evening I went to the grocery store to get dog food. My fiancee's car was behind mine so I took it to the store. It's a 98 Trans Am. It's a pretty bad ass car. I stopped at a stopsign, and turned towards the store. A car was coming up to the intersection as I was turning. This dude was driving like a black Maxima with a dual coffee can exhaust, and burns right up to me, pauses a moment then floors it. Making the sound of a 6.0 HP Lawn Boy. I got a bit of a kick out of it.

On my way home from the store, I passed a 5.0 Mustang that was going 25 in a 30 zone. As I'm passing him, he drops the car out of gear and guns the engine and his girlfriend is "whoop" ing out the window. As we pulled to the light... I turned.

All this after I got blown off the line by a 4 door Ford Focus... :eyebrow: :D
  2. There a lot of people with nothing to do but try to prove to themselves that they are a better person because of what they drive. Coffee can exhaust helps your self image.

3. People are attracted to that kind of thing like bugs to a zapper. For some reason they feel compelled to race cars that are probably faster than theirs just to make them feel better or something.I'm sure its a huge accomplishment to smoke a BMW thats somebodys taking out to get milk.

On a related note, my dad works for Chryler and was able to get his hands on a Dodge Viper for a week or two. On the way home from the mall some ricer kids driving some crappy modded out Honda CRX decided to take on my dad and floored it right past him. My dad decided it wasn't gonna happen, shifted gears, and watched the guy fade in the rear view mirror.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I love launching off the line with my 1996 green GMC Yukon. It's just fun for the 2 seconds that I reach the speed limit :). I don't burnout though, and generally I like to see if anyone wants to do it with me.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Happens to me all the time. Between my old Z3, my M3 and my Tiburon ever riced up Civic in MD has probably reved on me at a stop light.

I don't play though. I have told kids I'd be more than happy to race them anytime they want to come to summit point with me, that usually ends their tough talk.

Racing is for tracks.
  7. Yes, but the main question still is who really has the biggest ego?

- Wil
  8. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Heheh, my dad is the old man boyracer.

He has a black 2004 Audi S4 with radar jammers and a bling bling radar detector. He only guns it on the open road and when people in crappy cars try to race him. Old hoons are funny.

Do you guys get the show 'Top Gear' over there in the US? I imagine not due to Jeremy Clarkson's continuous abuse of american cars, and their complete absence of cornering ability. The only US car he has ever liked is the new Ford GT. He's a funny guy though.
  9. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Ahahaha, may i use that sentence in my signature?! :hyper: :D

j`k :D
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I used to work with this guy who's dad was a semi-pro drag racer. He had a (I think) Z28 and naturally both he and his dad were constantly tweaking and adding things to it to the point that the original engine was hardly there anymore. He said that this thing had 450 hp. He also said that the most ridiculous cars would pull up and challenge him to races at stoplights. He said if it was absolutely ludicrous (such as the 90's Duster that wanted a piece of him) he just ignores them but if it's slightly less ridiculous, like a car that's at least somewhat sporty, he'd give them a good headstart and then smoke them just for kicks.

On a side note, I have no idea how big his penis is.

brad cook
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the even funnier thing sis when you have a sleeper(a car thats stock on the outside, and heavily modded on the inside) like my girlfriends car, and you chump dudes in 5.0's or rice wagons.

she has a 96 dodge neon coupe. its really stock. standard rims and what not. my friend modded it out big time. new exhaust, cold air intake, a trans chip(no clue what that does, im into older "pimp" cars), suspension, brakes, turbo kit and a few other odds and ends.

the car is really fast. its no ten second car by any means. i can get 0-60 in 6 seconds which aint half bad for a neon.

in the area we live, lots of people have flashy hooked up cars(lots of rich kids). always catch some rice mobile with some guido behind the wheel revving his engine and wanting to race. i try and curb my urges but sometimes kids get really annoying.

its all about chumping guidos in fancy cars.

oh, and its not that sad to get beat by a focus, i know a few people have really fast fords.
  12. JTbass

Jul 2, 2004
    Asutin TX
    I have been driving my 68 Firebird for about 7 years now. I can't count the number of times Ive been at a light minding my own business and the car next to me just takes off when the light turns green. I am never paying attention to them and they just end up looking stupid to me. Shouldn't you make sure I know you are there before you try to race me?

Driving a car like mine brings some unwanted attention. Sometimes I forget why some people will just stare at me and my car. Everytime I stop at a store or to get gas someone says "Say man what year is that?'' On the other hand my car never gets old to me. Sometimes I just stop and stare at it with a proud smile.
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

...I drove (no, it's not a joke) a '69 Volkswagen Type III Squareback.

However, it wasn't your mom's VW Wagon...although it LOOKED like it...powder blue, no fancy wheels nothing to attract attention.

But, back in the engine compartment was a totally modded VW "pancake" (opposing 4) engine, 2.5 liters (the standard was 1.5), racing cam, fuel injection, racing exhaust.

I actually had 100lbs of extra weight in the front bumper, to help keep the front end on the ground.

(It would still pick the front wheels up about 4-5 inches if I goosed it too much...and would turn the tires over in 2nd and 3rd gear)

It had NOTHING for top end (died at about 100mph), but it got there so damn quick NOTHING could touch it up until it hit the "wall".

I really enjoyed embarrassing all the muscle-car boyz with that car....

14. Street racing in any form is just out right stupid. To many things to go wrong!!!!!

I just got rid of an 11 sec car....on the way to tens..... I don't know how many times a$$holes tried me.... I just took them out to Moroso drag strip if they were serious. I was crossing the line before they got it into 2nd :D :D

One of my most favorite qoutes from the governator is " vhen you haaave a BMW you go around trying to race everyone, vhen you haaave a Lambourgini you are content to go the speed limit."
  15. I love Dodges . . . my lowly Durango R/T is suprisingly fast . . .

Mark F. Sanderson

16. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It's not just the sports cars or muscle cars that these guys go after...

...I had a hole in the exhaust of my '93 Taurus and it sounded horrible. But to these fast and furious guys, it must've sounded like pissed-off-bumblebee car heaven, they'd always try to get me to race! The funnier thing is, while I never indulged any of them, they usually got tied up in traffic trying to pass other motorists while I end up passing them down the road.
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Guys, keep the language clean. I had to delete some posts because editing it all takes too much time. Some posts were deleted by mistake, sorry.

Good rule of thumb: don't give us reason to edit stuff. We might inadvertently delete the whole thing...
  18. My friend was challenged by some guy in a clapped out tin can with a baked beans can for an exhaust. He started revving the mini motor, so my mate thinks, 'why not?' and indulges him. The guy was waiting for my mate to shoot off and then was going to follow him.

My mate had a filter light. The other goon went shooting into traffic!
  19. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    i drive an mgb and i always gets kids taking off at the lights at full tilt whenever they are next to me. They have the attitude "we can do this and you can't", like they are trying to porove a point or something. So you got the next set of lights 10 seconds before i did. BFW