So, where should I buy digital music?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Cuz he bored.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Cuz he ain't very bright.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Cuz yer mama.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Cuz carrots.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I do lots of fill in gigs. I have to learn songs all the time. One way I imprint them into my brain is to listen at work through my phone over and over again. Sometimes I don't have Wi-Fi available. I can't always stream. So I need to buy and keep the files in a downloaded form so I can listen when I can't stream.

My personal phone is a Galaxy S6. My work phone is an iPhone 6. I can use either. It would be great to have some sort of account that would allow me to put the files on either or both.

I started a recent thread about Google Play, which is what I have been using up until now. But I thought I would ask you guys about what else is out there.

I'm not opposed to a subscription fee that allows downloads.

I need to be able to put them on my phone and then delete them when I feel like it. I would like to be able to store the files in a way that would allow me to get them back without having to buy them again. So, either the subscription allows me to get it again or I can transfer it to a computer and then back onto the phone.

I haven't had a "bad experience" with Google Play. But I need to get about 40 songs right now so I thought I would ask around about better options.

I need to be able to get all kinds of music.

I don't want to steal the music. Things like the old Napster or LimeWire are not an option for me. I don't mind paying but I want lots of options and flexibility.

Being able to create playlists is a huge plus so I can listen to only what I am currently learning.

47th Street likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why do you have to be able to delete songs and then get them back? Keep them all and make playlists. The ability to redownload stuff seems like too much of a hassle anyway.

two fingers likes this.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    I use Spotify. I can - or think I can - download enough tunes to justify the $10.00/mo. Sometimes things go south with my playlists and customer service doesn't exist but I just download the stuff again. You can download and 'keep' the songs with a subscription. My only real gripe...no King Crimson. I don't think Fripp likes these services.

MCF and two fingers like this.
  4. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Two reasons.
    1) One of the phones I will use for this is a work phone. A couple times a year I get a call from the IS office telling me to come swap out phones and they give me a new one. I need to be able to delete the songs from the old work phone before I turn it in and then get them back for the new one when I get it. In other words, I need either a flexible subscription that allows downloads or a place to buy the files so I can transfer them from device to device whenever I want.

2) I take lots of pics on my personal phone. And I store some documents in it. I want to be able to clean it out every now and then and not keep hundreds of songs in the phone all the time. I only need 40 or so at any given time and that's all I want to keep on the phone (so I can free up my storage memory for other things). But if another act does a song I already downloaded ,or if I am filling in with the same band again, I want to be able to get them back either as part of a subscription or by simply transferring the files back onto the phone.

5. Youtube to MP3 converter and saved to a cloud, Drop Box as an example.
    Fishheadjoe

Johnny Crab, MrLenny1 and two fingers like this.
  6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks for chiming in. How does one play a song or create a playlist from Dropbox? And can I then transfer the files from Dropbox to the phone (maybe an app?)?

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i buy a lot of MP3s at amazon. good selection, and since i have amazon music now, it automatically puts my purchased tracks in with the included streaming stuff.

btw, amazon and spotify offer downloads via their streaming service. i believe napster does, too.

hrodbert696 and two fingers like this.
  8. Save the converted song to a pc or your phone. Up-load it to your Drop Box account and you can access it anywhere. Sorry, not technical enough to guide you in setting up play lists. Tunes will open up using what ever program you chose as your default player. You set this up.
    My band uses Drop box for all our cover songs, many of which are converted to another key that suits our singers range. One stop shopping for us as all tunes are essentially in the same place and accessible anywhere.
    Fishheadjoe

two fingers likes this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

It's gonna be hard for you to beat Google Play. I do the exact same thing you are doing, and work also swaps my phone every now and then. It's an Android so I just reset it before giving it back.

I just keep a running playlist with all the songs I need to listen to. You can download the entire playlist locally with the click of one button. There's just nothing easier. If Google doesn't have something you need, just buy it and you can upload it to your collection and it will be in there seamlessly with everything else. I've had maybe 5 or 6 songs over the years I've had to add that way.

Spotify pretty much works the same way as Google, it would be a lateral move for you. Content is also pretty much the same as Google.

I also have Amazon Music because it's included with my Prime, but I still would rather pay the $10 a month for Google or Spotify. Amazon is still light years behind everybody with their streaming service.

two fingers likes this.
  10. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I like Amazon. When wifi is available, you can stream from their player app. Navigation is user friendly. Songs can also be downloaded to up to 3 devices, I think. Adding Amazon songs to iTunes is a breeze.

hrodbert696 and two fingers like this.
  11. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't know which bands you're buying, but I love bandcamp.com for lesser known artists. Artists get more money than via other methods. You can redownload anytime, and you can stream from their app.

two fingers likes this.
  12. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    IT'S CONFUSINATING MY HEADS!!!!!!!!! :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I use Amazon too. Almost everything is there, you actually pay properly for the music, and it's a simple download of an mp3 to your hard drive that you can put on any player. They have a streaming service too for making a playlist of everything you bought.

two fingers likes this.
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Were spoiled, very spoiled.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

another vote for Amazon
    I'm using their music, video, and 2-day delivery services & for a month I'll be using their free trial of Kindle Unlimited (while I read Joe's book)

although, I get Prime for half-price through a student account
    (all you need is a *.edu eMail address & you can get a 4-year discount)

16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have been reading up on some of them and I really can't tell the differences.

One thing I CAN tell you is that they don't give you a ton of information up front on what you can and can't do with their subscription services. Basically, you have to try it and if you don't like it cancel it.

17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, it got a bit confusing reading what each service "promises". I already have a bunch of stuff on Google Play. They are running a 60 day trial and then it's 10 bucks a month. My first gig with my new project is March 8th. I just set up the trial account and searched up the songs for that show and added them to a playlist. Then I downloaded the playlist on my phone with no drama or hickups. So we'll see how it goes. So far, so good.

If I can listen to the stuff at work tomorrow offline with no hassles, and I can find everything I want, this may be the way to go. I'm sure they all have their perks and drawbacks. But this seems to be working out and I won't have to rearrange my existing Google Play account.