So who else doesn't practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew West, Sep 21, 2001.

1. I never practice at home. The only time my bass leaves the case is at band practice or shows. I just can't sit around and play along to tapes or whatever. Am I wierd?
  2. I'm almost the opposite. I try to have "together time" with my bass everyday.

The time I played least actually was when the band was practicing for a gig because I just left it at the drummers house.

I even write some stuff when I'm just fooling around.

But, I try to play everyday.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I HAVE to have at least an hour or two with one of the girls. When I first started, I practiced for 30 hour a week. True story. Sometimes I'd stay up until 4 am, even though I had to go to work. Once I became "good", I slacked off. So, I now I have a "not open for discussion" hour practice time.;)
  4. Practice is essential. You cannot hope to be your best if you don't work at it. There's no free ride.

(note - for those of you who might feel that I am speaking for them - the above is IMHO)
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Ed and I have done this before. I respect his position but disagree, so heres mine.

I dont often 'practice'. I play at a local church most Sundays so its a rehearsal Thursday every other Monday plus one on Sunday before the Service. The run up to Christmas goes crazy.

I also play bass in a jazz blues instrumental improv band thats just for fun(no gigs). I need to work on my soloing and jazz stuff and this is where I do it.

I also write sing and play guitar for a band I formed this yr. I am a poor writer and singer and guitar playing gets worked on twice a week. I also goto jams at church on guitar (had one this week didnt stink too much).

I also have a home recording studio and I am the engineer producer and session guy. I work on my drumming when I can. I own a keyboard and play it poorly.

I am a happy amateur (oh I have a session type bass one-off coming next weekend plus a seminar day I am running the sound for) I play nearly as much as a pro and dont have time or inclination to practice bass daily.

But my fretless has been dead for months and now its back I need to work on my intonation which I will in a minute (does that count).

Anyway my long winded post means

Each one of us has different ability needs and goals so do what you want BUT being lazy reaps little or no reward.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm kinda with CS on this one.

I play at church several times a week, and gig 3-5 times per month. That is the bulk of my playing.

I don't have a set practice regimen, but I do know the value of practicing.

I do practice from time to time, whether it's to learn a piece that I am interested in, or to run through some scales.

But I would be lying if I said that I practice every day or for X number of hours per week.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I try to play the bass 14 hours a week. If I have 10 hours worth of gigs, then I practice for 4 hours outside of that. If I only have 3-6 hours of gigs that week, then I do the math and practice accordingly. A lot of this has to do with what I feel is the right thing to do musically, and a lot has to do with the fact that I'd like to build up my endurance as a bassist...I find that I'm a pretty strong player for the first two sets, but I start to lose intensity after that, especially on a 4 hour gig (thank god those are rare these days!).

After three hours, my fingers - especially my right hand - are pretty much shot, and somewhat painful. I'd like to raise that threshold to 4-5 hours. The only way I know how to do that is to play consistently. Maybe it sounds like a cheesy pipe dream to some, but I'd like to keep getting better until I quit breathing.
  8. u have to practice if u wanna get really good

i wasnt really practicing that much this year and the last 2 years i've played bass

but now i try to practice at least 2 hours a day
    and i have learnt more in last 3 months i have been really serious in practice than i have in the last 2 and a half years
  9. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    As the saying goes "Practice makes perfect".

Depends on what your goals as a musician are. If your goal is to play like Wooten, then you can never do that without practice. If your goal is not to be "perfect", but you play 3 times a week, that may be enough. Different people are different.
  10. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've really slacked off on the practicing, unfortunately. I haven't been playing as many gigs in the last year or so, and I find myself working on acoustic guitar and singing more at home lately. I have been working on my bowing on the upright, however. I seem to be practicing "music" more lately than bass, in that I often play my guitar and weird instruments (sitar, oud, pennywhistle). I really need to get back to working on my bass, though. You guys have made me feel guilty now.....:(
  11. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I have to play 1 hour every single day. On Sundays, I play with my Youth Church Band, plus jamming before and after, which is my best and most productive practice time. However, what I decide to play in those before/after service is usually based on what I have worked on that past week. Especially my slapping.
    I recently was given a Yamaha keyboard with built in drum machine and worked on fingering as fast as I can this fun little scale while increasing the speed bit by bit on the drum machine. I also spend practice time writing new material. So, without practice, I would still be trying to figure out if that thickest string is E or G...:eek: :D
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I practice for @ 30 minutes +/- when I don't have band. It just seems so very hard for me to pick up an play for longer than that. When I DO have a band, I've played for the better of two hours a day. It's a matter of motivation, and no matter how I try, without a band to go to, I can't motivate myself enough for extended practices. It bugs me, but even when I set out to practice for an hour or something, I can't do it, unless there's a band to go to the next day...
  13. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I never call it practicing, to me its "playing" or "messing around on my bass". If its something for jazz band or what not that Im having trouble with thats when I call it practicing. So I guess I dont practice but in the same sense I do.

Now Im confused.
  14. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I practice constantly, but not when i'm bummed. I practice at school at lease 30 minutes a day, i practice at home a lot more.
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I was very guility of not practicing up untill yesterday. In fact I hardly picked up my bass at all in a months time, 3 times max. I was so unmotivated to play, but now Im happy to say that has ended and Ive practiced for the last 2 days straight and will play again tomorrow.
  16. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    (i'm crying)
  17. I don't have a set practice, but I do pick up my bass for at least 30 minutes a day. I also do a lot of home recordings (which can be heard at *coughs*plug!*coughs*, and I might make at least one or two songs a week. I think I really need to start practicing more though, I've noticed a serious decline in my playing since I my teacher quit giving lessons.
  18. I practice between two and five hours a day, dividing the time between bass and guitar.
  19. I get in around 10 hours of practice per week plus around 5 hours of ensemble playing. Sometimes less, rarely more.

Taking lessons from a great player has been a great motivator to play more and work harder on the instrument than I ever have in the past.

20. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    What do you guys who practice so much practice (need ideas so I can practice more)
    Donna Lee? :D