Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so who else hates the fancy wood look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 8, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    maybe its just me, but i honestly hate the "coffee table bass" look.

if it looks more like art than a bass, i don't see why i'd even consider playing with it... i'd be too afraid to begin with.

i prefer the simplicity of a tobacco burst or translucent finish on a figured maple. thats as far as i care to go. maybe its just me, but thats how i like it. :)

BassGreaser, SunnBass and GKon like this.
  2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the wood for me. I have stages. Generally i like simpler things. I really prefer solid finishes over everything else, not sure why. I also like burled/flamed redwood as a top. I really dislike walnut and lots of other dark woods. I like cocobolo but i would feel awkward playing it.

Black basses and white basses are still my favorite, not sure why.
    I do enjoy burst/trans finishes over Ash though.

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Options and choice are a great things, huh?

Fat Steve likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't really mind the look of them, but I do agree with Michael Tobias that the acoustic returns from fancy woodwork are diminishing to negative.

Too many laminates and too much glue can have a detrimental effect on tone.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yea, i hear ya figjam. those are definitely cool. i think part of the reason is that my fave body wood of all time is alder. and alder really is kinda boring plain. with a nice finish tho. its chill. solid colors are TOO plain for me, though. ideally, i'll have a nice translucent. ideally.

6. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I like some of the "coffee table" basses myself, but I'd like to see some seriously outrageous custom paint jobs on basses, too.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    "Hate" is a bit strong, but I don't prefer that look. I like natural and translucent/dyed wood, but I don't really care for fancy figures. Flamed/quilted maple, zebrawood, and stuff like that is fine, but crazy burls and the like make better doors, IMHO.

8. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    does anyone make pearlescent painted guitars? ya know, like the paint that is differnet colors depending on the angle. used on fancy tuner cars, mainly. that would be some sweet stuff. like an orange color with red and yellow. itd be ON FIREEEE.

9. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i like some of the woods. many of the burls are too over the top for me.

10. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    The one top wood I really don't like it the Buckeye Burl. I have not yet seen a bass where I liked that top. Most others I have no problem with.

I think my favorite look is the see through finish over ash. My Alleva-Coppolo is a see through white over ash and I have a Valenti 5 with see through black over quilted maple.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like pretty much all wods, but msot Buckeye Burl puts me right off. Looks like Blue Stilton Cheese :rollno:

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Trying to live up to your user name???

;)

Isn't it great that they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream?

Basehead, Mr_O'B, Dug2 and 1 other person like this.
  13. I like woodgrain.

Always have in anything I own. Be it actual coffee tables, or basses. There's something about the natural beauty of wood I like. When I saw my first Warwick in a shop before I even knew what a Warwick was, I saw them glorify woodgrain. Never again have I liked basses with thick paint coats, or gloss finishes.

Generally I prefer dark woods. I'm a bubinga nut, and recently have gotten into walnut and redwood. I recognize the amazing complexity and coolness factor of burled stuff, but its a bit too busy for me, doesn't show grain all that well.

gebass6 likes this.
  14. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Hate is not strong enough a word.:D

"I see a fancy top bass, I kill the man wearing it!"

Wyatt Earp - Tombstone

MEKer likes this.
  15. ryanl

ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    Actually the quote was "From now on I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it." ;)

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Great movie!!

17. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

Both very opinable statements.
    I'd chose my Thumb over 10.000 fender wannabe's (and I do own an US 57 Reissue).

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not particularly fond of the quilted maple look, but I do like the spalted maple tops I've seen.

In general, I like a transparent finish, though -- especially in a burst, like a burgundy burst. Mmmm. If the wood is good, show it off!!

20. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I like a nice looking piece of wood. And so do all the ladies I've asked. :D