Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so... who has played through Peavey cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pmkelly, Aug 6, 2003.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I have stumbled on a deal for a peavey 810 cabinet, and I am pretty close to picking it up... I just wanted to know who has used 'em and what they thought...

P@

2. baggpuss

baggpuss

May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    hey dude...
    have played through one but only in the shop.... think will prob be good value for money but much better cabs are available..
    i use a swr goliath 6x10 and it is a far better cab...
    :)

3. I loved mine! If it didn't weigh so darn much I might have kept it. In any case, I would suggest that you run it bi-amped because full range it kinda sounds like butt. I retro-fitted mine as well with newer Scorpion 10's and newer BW 18'' (both used off ebay), 16 gauge wiring, and new Switchcraft 1/4'' jacks. Minimal dough really. The end result was pure booty moving bass thunder! I sold it for what I had into it, $250. Also, make sure it's an 1810 and not an 1820. There is a difference! The 1810 enclosure was redesigned and is slightly larger then the 1820. The sound quality and response from the 18'' is very noticable between the two. Hope you dig it if you get it.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I played through a Delta Bass head and a 410 peavey cab. I didn't mind the sound at all. For the money you can't really go wrong.

5. I love the new Peavey cabs. I have a 410tvx and a 115bvx. Great tone with plenty of bottom end and mids/highs. Unfortunetly I can no longer carry them, so I'll probably sell them.

6. You'll be happy. I recently acquired a Peavey TX410 cab that's supposedly been around the block quite afew times. It's amazing in my opinion and it's the best deal out there... Peavey makes inexpensive products. It doesn't make them cheap. These are excellent pieces of gear that even pro's use, it's NOT JUST A BARGAIN PIECE OF GEAR like ROQUE, it's got quality. I'm using this 410 with an Avatar 15 and it's just incredible. I power it with a hartke 3500. I spent a total of $528 on this whole setup and I am one happy person. I got the 410 for free used (yes it works, nothing is wrong with it at all, no distortion, only distortion is the signature Hartke CLipping);)

I can't say enough good things about the cab. It's awesome by itself and handles a low B nicely. I play jazz, and the whole setup would handle metal, maybe a more powerful amp would be the only thing that'd be needed.

Peavey = quality for low $$$

Scrape the "for begginner" label off that people have had the tendency to put on the Peavey name. People who say Peavey is toneless have their heads up their ass...

7. Very well said. I think alot of people think that Peavey sounds like it did 20 years ago. I think they've come along way. I'm not afraid to admit that I chose Peavey cabs over Ampeg B series.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

ROTFLMAO! Good stuff!

Thanks for the info, all... I think I will pick it up, it's an 810 for 350$. Kinda hard to go wrong with that... If anyone else has any input, please fire away!

P@

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

I had a 1810 and a 1820 back in the day.
    I really didnt use the 18's. Bipassed and plugged into the 10's.

Sounded ok. I prefer my Eden cab over it.

10. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    my input.... that's a killer deal if you're willing to lug it around.

I had the 210TX and loved it, then the 410TX and loved it.
    I think any of those begininng with the "TX" series and newer are great cabs, just on the heavy side. That's why I no longer have the 410, other wise, I would still have it. I'm just getting to old and/or lazy to move it around on gigs.

K

11. wow a PV 810, ive got a PV 210 and a 410, and im liking the loudness and the amazement of my guitarist of how deep and heavy and heavy the cabs are. DOes the 810 have thous tilt back wheels on, im really wanting one

12. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have an 810TX. Great cab. Solid lows, great sound through the whole spectrum. With the tilt back, it's easier to move than most 410s. I hope you own a van or a truck, though.

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    yep... I have a truck, the wife has a mini van... either will work!

P@

14. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Up until a few months ago I was using two 410TX cabinets and had been for years, i've attached a picture below.
    I was finally able to buy a new Peavey Pro 410 cabinet (at a resonable price) which allowed me to sell off both of my 410TX cabs.
    Needless to say my back appreciated this change.

[​IMG]

Here's the replacement Pro 410.

[​IMG]

15. I own an older 80's 215BW and a 410B that sound awesome and handle everything. I dig 'em.

16. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I'm offended by that joke, making fun of us guitar players. The first time I clicked on it, I immediately clicked again because, well, the browser musta been confused. The third time was just to make sure. What's with all the mean spirited jokes lately.

17. Wasn't this post about the Peavey 1810 model bass enclosure? The one from the 80's? The one that contains an 18'' Black Widow and two 10'' Scorpion speakers? Sorry, I just wanted to get some clarification from the original poster.

18. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Yeah, someone jumped it off track immediately.

The original post was about the 810. 8 X 10inch speakers.

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I was mostly curious about people who would have played through any peavey cabinet, especially with different heads... I will be using either a GK or a Hartke... So any experience with PV cabinets would be great!

P@