1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so who has sold their stingray for a sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've been a stingray player for a long time but sometimes i wish the neck was thinner, like on my flea bass....so i was thinking of trading the ray for a sterling since i like the MM tone. has anyone else switched to a sterling for this reason? were you satisfied with the tone compared to the ray? does the thin neck really make a nice difference?

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I chose a Sterling over a Stingray years ago when I bought mine. I don't play it on a regular basis, but it has been a great bass and is extremely well-made (based on quality standards of the mid-'90s). I based my decision primarily on the fact that the Sterling had a downsized body, more versatile electronics, and the neck was fairly similar to a jazz bass neck shape....which I prefer. Based on what you're looking for, I'd recommend the switch. You can still get a Stingray-like tone from a Sterling....not identical, but it might be worth the compromise if you're looking for more comfort and playability.

3. *raises hand*

It's an easy bass to play and it's more versitile IMO.

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I still have my Stingray, but it sits in its case unplayed. I have two Sterlings and I love them to death. The tones are far better, I believe, than my Stingray. I will admit that each Sterling has a slightly different, but unique, flavor to its tone potential.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Oops...forgot to post a photo of mine just for fun. They still make them in transparent red, but I'm not sure if they come in this particular shade anymore. [​IMG]