so who has sold their stingray for a sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've been a stingray player for a long time but sometimes i wish the neck was thinner, like on my flea i was thinking of trading the ray for a sterling since i like the MM tone. has anyone else switched to a sterling for this reason? were you satisfied with the tone compared to the ray? does the thin neck really make a nice difference?
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I chose a Sterling over a Stingray years ago when I bought mine. I don't play it on a regular basis, but it has been a great bass and is extremely well-made (based on quality standards of the mid-'90s). I based my decision primarily on the fact that the Sterling had a downsized body, more versatile electronics, and the neck was fairly similar to a jazz bass neck shape....which I prefer. Based on what you're looking for, I'd recommend the switch. You can still get a Stingray-like tone from a Sterling....not identical, but it might be worth the compromise if you're looking for more comfort and playability.
  3. *raises hand*

It's an easy bass to play and it's more versitile IMO.
  4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I still have my Stingray, but it sits in its case unplayed. I have two Sterlings and I love them to death. The tones are far better, I believe, than my Stingray. I will admit that each Sterling has a slightly different, but unique, flavor to its tone potential.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Oops...forgot to post a photo of mine just for fun. They still make them in transparent red, but I'm not sure if they come in this particular shade anymore. [​IMG]