1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So who is control-less?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cassius987, Apr 10, 2010.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I just heard that certain buffers can hurt input stages of preamps.
    What could lead to this?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's just a GIF file. There must be an issue with your computer with viewing images.

Attached Files:

3. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    it must be the office's firewall or something, here at home I can see them all.

thanks!

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    > I just heard that certain buffers can hurt input stages of preamps.

Hm. Makes no sense to me, either. In theory a buffer is a unity-gain circuit with a high input impedance (less loading of the pickup) and low output impedance (better to drive the cable and the amp's input while hopefully reducing noise susceptibility). I can't see how that could cause a problem, unless either the design or execution were wrong. A few possible real-world "gotchas" come to mind, but who knows...

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, its a myth.

The worst a buffer can do--if it has gain-- is clip the amp's preamp. I had my buffers set for almost line level and it never hurt any of the amps I used, but i was able to clip Eden amp's preamps quite easily.

But amps have active and passive inputs for a reason, though I always use the passive inputs even with active basses.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Thanks for the info!:)

7. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

For a couple years in the early 1980s my main axe was an SD Curlee that the previous owner had removed all the electronics from (and, btw, glued pennies over the now-empty knob holes, which looked really cool w/ the brass & gold hardware). Nothing but wire between the DiMarzio pickup & the output jack.

I hated it.

I find that A) if there's no volume control I at least like to have a Kill Switch on my instruments so I can mute it between tunes, or when taking a break, or during tacets; and B) for my jazz & experimental gigs especially, I like to have fingertip volume control for additional expressive color and/or wider dynamic effect.

8. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Well here's a report back.

I took the bass to rehearsal with the goal of using both the preamp and the passive/no controls setup and comparing. The main thing I noticed using the passive setup, with a 10' cable and an Ashdown ABM EVOII 500 head into a 151R Markbass cab, was that the tone was beefier than before all around and actually a little more difficult to tame. The Audere wasn't really doing much for me either though so I stuck with the passive mode. The band thought it sounded fine. When I got the recordings back the main thing I noticed was that my attack sounded crisper, it wasn't as washed out, and that some of the absolute highest harmonics were getting through in a way they hadn't before. But compared to previous practices it was not a huge improvement or downgrade, just different.

Ultimately I wanted to keep the "no load" tone but have options to bleed off treble or blend the pickups so they don't comb filter so I made a passive harness that has four controls and a Switchcraft switch and the ROS/mono setup so it looks dead stock from above. It's Bass Volume 500K (I attenuate this pickup when blending), a DPDT push-pull switch to use the variable Vintage Tone Selector that was introduced in 2006, and a pair of Fender No-Load pots for the tone controls with 0.022 uF caps. I think this strikes a good balance for me and I'll report on it after next rehearsal.

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I build in the option when I can talk a customer into it.

This will be hard to see but;

[​IMG]

What is shown is a volume and tone and switch per pickup - the switch takes the pots out of the circuit.

With volume rolled to off the switch is a kill.

10. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    For what it's worth I've been playing around a lot in GarageBand and I really like the wiring harness I came up with. Hopefully can get a rehearsal going tonight to hear it through the amp/cab.