Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So who is/was the owner of this piece of recent history?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FlyOnGeddysWal, Mar 20, 2005.

1. FlyOnGeddysWal

FlyOnGeddysWal

Mar 20, 2005
    http://tinyurl.com/4gbcs

"This bass was used on a few Gold & Platinum albums, and was seen in l981 on the first video to ever be in heavy rotation on MTV."

It's not mine and I'm not the one selling it, I'm just wondering what the 1st band/video was on MTV heavy rotation... for those pop culture history buffs lurking here...

:meh:

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Hm who would claim they're selling a famous bass without telling you why it's famous :/

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Just to be a pain I asked him for the name of the bassist (s) who played on these gold albums and heavily played videos.
    Bet ya he doesn't answer!

4. FlyOnGeddysWal

FlyOnGeddysWal

Mar 20, 2005
    Did the bassist for the Buggles hit "Video Killed the Radio Star" play a Wal, or was it Tina Weymouth(sp) or John Taylor from Duran Duran? MTV first aired in August 1981...

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/M/htmlM/musictelevis/musictelevis.htm

5. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    for what i remember it was "video killed the radio star" by the buggles, but i don't remember seeing a WAL in it

6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    lol FlyOnGeddysWal, we posted the same time... i know john taylor had a wal, you could be right
    i think the guy from buggle had an aria pro

7. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    The key here is "heavy rotation". The Buggles were the first video played, with Trevor Horn playing an Aria SB 1000, but if the Ebayer is correct, the question is what video got heavy rotation first on MTV?
    Now I am a video director and a bassist, but I can't seem to recall a Wal in a video that would comply with this criteria although many British artists would be among the first to get wide play on MTV. Around this time Mick Karn [Japan] and Martin Kemp [Spandau Ballet] were playing Wals, the "True" vid by Spandau Ballet?. Curt Smith [Tears For Fears] played a Status, Howard Jones' brother played a Wal a bit later, Mike Rutherford [Genesis] might have had one, Bruce Thomas [Elvis Costello] had one in the "Every Day I Write The Book" video but this was also a little later.
    Did the bassist with Dexy's Midnight Runners have a Wal in the "C'mon Eileen" vid? Hmmmm...
    Still trying to figure this out, maybe the guy is wrong about the "first heavy rotation" thing, or maybe I haven't dug deep enough yet!
    Adam And The Ants???

8. This has got me and the wife thinking, our ages put us right there ;)

The bass player from Bow wow wow had one, track was I like Candy I think?

T

9. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Yes. I'm not sure if they were in heavy rotation, but I hope they were!!!

10. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
  11. So that was a good guess of mine then?

......... or at least the nearest yet :)

T

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Didn't MTV pop-up in a few test markets first in 1981 before hitting nation wide, I remember SF was one of those markets, or maybe that was 1980, wow, it's a thick haze of bad hair and bright colours. I'd say the bass is HOT(stolen) and the seller does not want tol list specific info to avoid Google detection from the actual owner(joke).

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Kajagoogoo maybe? Not sure

Rob

14. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    "Kajagoogoo - Too Shy" was early 1983. I still think it was Bow Wow Wow... I just don't feel like locating the VHS with that video on it. :)

15. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    The answer is: Saga - the "OnThe Loose" video. The player is Jim Crichton, from the Canadian band produced by Rupert Hine. He messaged me with the answer, nice guy!!!

16. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I wonder if Colin Moulding from XTC still has his Wal.They're such expensive basses, it's hard to imagine someone holding onto one for nostalgia.