Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So Who Knows About Brown Recluse Bites?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Fifteen years ago I had been bitten by a brown recluse on my leg. I had seen it, and thought it was an ingrown hair but I actually joked about it being a brown recluse bite. The next morning I had brown/black goop dripping down my calf and found out I really did have a spider bite. I had to scrub the wound with hydrogen peroxide and a q-tip by inserting the q-tip into the hole in my leg and twisting it around- it hurt a bunch. The hole got deep enough that I could insert the entire head of the q-tip in my leg and it was large enough that I could put the q-tip in my leg without touching flesh. (If you really want some fun, do an image search on brown recluse bites- not for the faint of heart)

After a while of scrubbing the thing out a dozen or so times a day, it healed, but it left a small scar. Fast forward 15 years to sometime prior to June 18th, I got a mosquito bite on that scar. I wasn't continually scratching it or anything, but it's actually finally scarring up- now, almost 2 full months later, long after all the other bites from that evening were long gone. Most bites, wounds and scratches heal in a normal amount of time for me- so this is a bit odd.

What I was wondering, does anyone know about brown recluse bites and if that mosquito bite may have unleashed a small amount of latent venom or something...

BTW, I have a general rule- "if you think you need to go to the doctor, go to the doctor, don't ask a bunch of dorks on the intarweb." If it were something that I believed was potentially dangerous, I would have seen a doctor.

2. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I think that Brown Recluse bites are actually very dangerous, but thats the story I heard from a kid who blows things so insanely out of proportion. I'd have it checked out just in case.
    quote from a medical document"Unlike the majority of spiders, black widow and brown recluse spiders are of concern because their venom contains toxins, that can cause medical problems.Most victims are bitten after they put on clothes stored in a secluded closet, when cleaning closets or storage areas, or when they roll on a spider while in bed. Initially, there may be little or no pain from a brown recluse bite, but, over the course of several hours, an intense localized pain develops, followed by inflammation of the area. Within a few days, a large ulcerous sore forms around the bite. This sore heals very slowly and leaves a large disfiguring scar.

Brown Recluse Bite There is no specific anti-venom available for brown recluse toxin, but various other treatments are used to promote healing. Early diagnosis and treatment are essential to alleviate pain and speed healing of ulcerated tissue. It can be important to know what spider caused the spider bite to assist with an early diagnosis and treatment. Without a specimen, there is really no way to determine what spider caused a spider bite, but medical personnel assume that if the bite becomes ulcerous, it is the bite from a brown recluse spider."

3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I was bitten by a spider we have up here in Washington called the "Hobo Spider". Not as bad as a Brown Recluse bite, but it was still pretty bad. It's a similar wound, but not quite as grotesque. It creates a huge boil filled with puss that itches and oozes, eventually popping and creating a bad scar. I had to go to the doctor and get it cauterized before it popped.

Brown Recluse bites aren't really dangerous to a grown person. Only to kids. I think it's VERY rare that a serious complication arises in a recluse bite, just a bad and ugly wound.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    One of the other side effects of brown recluse bites is that the area will often be more sensitive to pain and have a harder time healing wounds in the future due to surrounding tissue damage. It sounds like that is what you are expiriencing, though 15 years seems like a long time.

Another possibility is that the mosquito bite simply got infected. This can happen if you itch them enough to break skin and the skin wound gets infected. Obviously an infected bite takes a lot longer to heal than a normal one.

5. Can be luck of the draw what kind of bacteria is in the mosquito's mouth when he bites you. Can get cellulitis, or even the flesh eating desease. Possible it was just a bad bacteria in that one particular bite..

I believe any infection can get into the bloodstream and cause sepsis, very dangerous at that point. So anything weird you should see the doc, maybe get antibiotics.
    Randy

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    HEY! Who you callin' a bunch of dorks? YOU'RE the one who got bit by the spider.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Years ago my roommate got bit on the middle finger of his right hand by a brown recluse. He had no money to pay for a doctor visit so he waited like 4-5 days just hoping it would get better. It did not. The finger swelled up to twice it's normal girth and looked grotesque. So he had to borrow money from his parents to go to the doctor. The doctor said if he had waited one more day he would have had to amputate the finger. Not so good considering my friend was a guitarist.

8. I've actually seen a few bad spider bites that started off "annoyances" as far as itching, and ended up, shrtly thereafter, to be necrotic. really nasty, rotting black pus-laden nastiness.

It doesn't seem like that is the case here. Isn't scar tissue generally slower-"healing" than regualr tissue?

Either way, you DID do the right thing from the get go keeping it clean and all that. Is there a such thing as "latent venom"? or for that matter than in 15 years' time that the skin affected wouldn't have long since been "shed"? Just curious.

Best o luck with that.

Mon

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that is some nasty stuff

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And this would have affected his playing how? :ninja:

11. I knew a couple of guitar players that would have been better off as 3 fingered insurance salesmen.

Randy

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

He played flamenco style sometimes.

13. So I just happened across one of the nurses that work in the wound clinic in the hospital today...

She said it's probably just that the tissue is damaged and it's just taking a long time to heal.

I just know y'all's been all waitin' on that. :D