Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So who makes a good envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funk Warts, May 7, 2002.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I've decided to get an envelope filter, but who makes a good one for under £70 (around $100-110)?

All advice appreciated. Cheers.

2. The EH Dr. Q is very promising. It has a really (hate to use the term but here it goes...) sexy, focused sound, that remains responsive even with the deep switch engadged, unlike most cheaper envelope filters. Sure it's a reissue but EH has made good on theirs.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You can get a Mini-Q for that price as well. I have one and I like it quite a bit.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Everybody loves to slag the DOD FX25b envelope filter, but I find it pretty useful. It's super cheap - $40 new, and it creates decent filter sounds, and when used for reggae/dub sounds, it rocks.

To find decent sounds, I keep the blend pretty low, and vary the sensitivity knob so that I can control the attack with my playing. I also use it at higher sensitivity settings and let the decay of my strings and bass determine the rate of envelope closure.

I vary the range knob depending on the amount of wah I want.

It's pretty simple.

BTW, I never really understood how reggae players got "that sound;" it always sounded like their strings were the size of suspension bridge cables or something. I finally figured it out when I went to a reggae show in Golden gate park here in SF, and the bassist had a Kubicki Xfactor going into an old, two-know DOD envelope filter into an SVT. His sound was *huge*.

I had never tried putting the blend all the way up, the sensitivity all the way down, and the range all the way up. With those settings, you get some serious subharmonic stuff!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    EHX, Lovetone, Fulltone, lots of good analog envelope filters out there.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really like my mooger fooger, but it's a bit more expensive than what you are looking for.

7. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You might be able to find a nice used (or new if you pay a little more) EBS Bass IQ. It is a fairly simple filter, but it sounds really good.

-KB