1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

so who still uses a landline home phone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sonic assassin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. my dad had ours disconnected about 6 years ago when he realized that the only people that called us on it were telemarketers. we all had cell phones and it was deemed unnecessary.

so who still has one?

2. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    I still have one, it's weird. Doctors and dentist calls it. And people from church. Haha. But otherwise were all cell phones.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Haven't had a landline since about 2002.

4. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    My guitarist lives with his parents. He has a cell phone but his parents use a landline....and a dial-up internet connection. Not to mention their computer is about 10 years old.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Still have one. My internet connection is ADSL, so I have to pay for the land line even if I don't use it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I still have one. I keep it mainly for the spam.

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    We still have one because...I'm not sure. There's a reason. I just don't remember what it is.

8. Yeah, and a 25 foot stretchy cord too. Suck on that 21st century. :p

9. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Nope....strictly cell phone since 2006.

10. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I live with my folks, we still have a landline here at home. I never plan on getting one once I move out though, I have no need.

To be honest I could probably do without any sort of phone 95% of the time. I'm generally easier to contact via email or IM.

11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    For many years I was a supervisor & had to carry a Blackberry 24/7, so I learned to hate the thing - I called it "my electronic leash".
    My main phone is a landline, and both my wife & I carry el-cheapo TracPhones, strictly for emergency use & communicating with each other.
    I don't have a Facebook page either, and I don't think I ever will.

12. At this point, the home phone is just an annoyance to me. Mom still uses it because family calls on it. I don't get it. Pretty much everyone else in the house is questioning why it exists.

13. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I still have a home line, because we use ADSL here. Also, occasionally I get people calling landline to chat with me, because it's cheaper than calling to a mobile phone. However, I rarely use the landline and I tend to communicate with people via IM or email.

14. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm actually considering getting one. I have no cell reception in my house. We get bad storms that knock power out for days at a time and in some cases longer than a week. We only have one car so my wife is home with the baby and needs to reach me in an emergency. Not to mention my work related phone calls that may come at any hour. So land line is back on the table. Ugh!

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Huh... I was about to answer "I do"

...then I realized I don't really use my landline. I just still have it.

16. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    We still have a home phone!! all our kids have cell phones but I dont want one, if I want to talk to you I will call you, if I am away that's the way I want it...

17. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'm trying to follow your train of thought...your mom uses the land line because family calls, but no one else seems to knows why it exists?

18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I do. Between the office phone & home land line that's all I need.
    "Just leave a message, maybe I'll call"

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Ask of you can have "Dry loop" DSL. ATT allowed that until recently (for those who are in an area that can use DSL but nobody has U-Verse. If someone has U-Verse, they don't allow Dry Loop unless the person already had it and they don't want U-Verse.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hate cell phones because of the "electronic leash" aspect mentioned earlier. My wife and I carry cheap cell "batphones". She uses hers more, but mine is only for emergencies, and she's the only one with the number to it. We keep the land line as our main phone at home. Actually, come to think of it, I just hate phones in general. :)