Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So who wants to help give me PR advice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by granttheman, Jan 30, 2003.

1. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Alright, so bottom line, I'm a bass player, not a band leader. I'm good at getting everything organized at gigs, but not especially good at GETTING the gigs. Anyone want to help give me an idea about how I should go about it? I'll take any advice regarding PR, promotions...you know, the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Thanks a lot!

2. I think this really depends on what type of music you play, whether it is originals or covers, what type of gigs you're looking for etc.

I'm in an original band that is not quite established (hopefully soon) as a headlining act, so most of our PR is based around hanging out at venues and talking to people. If there is a band playing that we feel we compliment or vice versa, we'll try to hook up a show with them for the future. Never underestimate the power of networking, it's all about who you know in this business.

It's really helpful to have something like a business card for networking purposes too, give them out whenever you can. Bottom line is the more people that know your name, the better off you'll be at both getting people to show up at your gigs and booking shows.

And of course you're going to need a good demo to showcase your stuff to whoever you want to get booked by/with too.

3. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thanks Nicoli. All good advice. I guess I'll add here that my group is a jazz quartet, and we play both originals and standards. We've been together for two years, and for most of that, gigs have just fallen into our laps. But in the past two months, things have really slowed down, hence my desire to really start doing this "agent" side of the business better.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hair and wardrobe, man. Hair and wardrobe.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Promo kit.
    Make a good first impression.
    Your promo kit should contain.
    Business card. with logo, phone #, email, web page address.
    8x10 b&w glossy. Pay a photographer to do a nice looking one not a hap hazard snap shot.
    You're a jazz group so look like one not a R&R bar band.
    Short demo tape. A board tape is ok if it sounds decent. 5 minutes is enough. several songs let them hear the melody maybe a short amount of improv then fade to the next song. Not a 5 minute long version of Maiden Voyage.
    Song list.
    Schedule, So they can come hear you.
    Have a web page. Even a free one is better than nothing.

THEN

Check the papers and other bands web pages to see where other jazz bands are playing. Make phone calls. ask to send or drop off promo kit. Follow up with a phone call about a week after you deliver promo. Don't be pushy or a pain but follow up. offer to play an off night (wed. or sun.) cheap as an audition. This should keep you busy :cool:

6. granttheman

granttheman

Jan 30, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Wow...Thanks man. I'll go about looking into a photographer. I'm going to put a demo on a CD using pro-tools, and I guess I need to look into a website and cards. Thanks again for the help, and don't hesitate to give me more pointers if you feel the need.