Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So who's got an Essex Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Tried this Q at the Megathread, but didn't really raise a ripple. Anyway, I'd like to know how you like your Essex fretless, since I'm prolly gonna buy one very very very very very very very soon (prolly). :help:

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Very nice. I bought the SJB-62MG for my dad and I got to spend some time with it. Very well made. One thing about most SX basses when you buy them is the frets aren't set up at all and you have to spend some time with a file to make em play right. This one was playable straight out of the box.

For that price you can't lose either.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got one, it's great for the $! I used to have a Carvin fretless 5, and my SX has more mwah. I really like the maple fingerboard, enough to make maple my new preference. I'm going to put a demeter preamp in it when I get some time.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O mee meee *raises hand* I have an SPB-57 fretless. Sounds very much like an upright. Decent amount of muah, but with some zing from the maple fretboard. I still have the stock D'Addario strings on it so im sure i even have yet to hear it to its full potential.

5. Me too, I've got a 62 quilt top fretless. I like it alot. I put on some rotosound rounds on it and like the sound, although I am starting to see some grooves in the fretboard. It is my first fretless and at $130 it is a painless way to try the fretless.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have the SJB62 QMD Red Fretless. I love it. It sounds awesome with some bright rounds on it... MWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHH :D

Then again, I get the idea you may be more of a flats person yourself ;)

Either way, its a great buy. They are great for the value. I like it a lot. It feels great to play. The action is excellent, and the construction is top notch, it feels very solid. The photoquilt top on it is quite beautiful, and the gold hardware is very classy with the deep red finish and the pearloid pickguard. I say go for it!

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've got a BG-150 fretless jazz. The ash body makes it one heavy mutha, but the tone out of a $150 bass is amazing.