So who's played a MusicMan SUB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Sep 15, 2003.

1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    any thoughts? good or bad? I am looking at getting a 5 string. I'd like to see what a blue one looks like, but if I get one I'll dump the metal pickguard in favor of a regular black one.

I know a owner of a music store that says he will get me s fiver for $650, but I'd have to pay for at least part of that before he orders it, so I want as many opinoins as I can get. I love the stingray tone, so I'm really wondering how it differs from a stingray in tone, not in feel.

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First, there are two varieties out there: the active and the passive. If you love the Stingray tone, make sure you get the bass with the active preamp for $650, otherwise it's not such a hot deal. I think passives sell anywhere for $650.

Second, the feel is there, the sound is pretty much there, and the only thing to get used to is the two band preamp vs. the three.

And yeah, definately replace the pickguard. The "diamond plate" aluminum pickguard feels cheaper than a $4.00 stadium hot dog.

But...the thing that keeps me from buying one, a used Stingray in good condition can be bought in the same price range, and it comes with a case. Just keep your eyes open like this: :eek:
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A few weeks ago I posted my opinions on it after using one for a gig. For the most part, I didn't care for it, and I think there are MUCH better ways to spend your $650. I'd find a link to the thread I replied in, but I'm really tired and lazy. Sorry.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    great tip. I thought they were all actives, and he was probably quoting the passive price. I need to look into that.
  5. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I found the post, and thanks for your feedback. was the one you used the active or passive?
  6. I played it...if you like the Sting ray..and you're not Bill Gates,get'll like it.

I dont think its for me,I dotn like the Pickguard or the finish though:meh:
  7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I used the active. I may be rather biased, but I find the Ibanez ATK series to offer much more usable tones for half the price. If you're looking for a 5 string Stingray-styled bass, look into the ATK305. They pop up on eBay fairly often. As much as I love the ATK, I will give the advantage to the SUB on both the finish and weight.
  8. I was A/Bing lots basses in a shop a couple weeks ago including 4 and 6 string SUBs, Stingrays and Sterlings. I thought the SUB was the worst bass that I have ever played; whereas I love the Stingray and Sterling. I can't put it in the same category as the plastic Ibanez, because that would be an insult to plastic. And the diamond plate pickguard would cut my picking hand to pieces if I played it often. Plus I didn't think the tone did justice to the Music Man name. And it's not the price. I really like the Ibanez ATK and low end BTB series. Of course, you may love it, but I would suggest that you definitely play before you pay on this one.
  9. HUhhh? That was supposed to read "4 and 5 string SUBs, Stingrays and Sterlings." New keyboard.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've played a couple of SUBs. They're ok, but notice,, I did NOT buy one.
  11. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i played one at the GC, worst bass i ever played. i really didnt like it. felt odd, sounded not to good....
  12. Wow, i heard alot of good things about the S.U.B. myself...i guess its just one of those things where ya either love it or hate it?

I was thinking on getting one myself just to tide me over till next summer when i can buy a real Stingray. Not so sure now.

Do you people still believe the SUB is better than the OLP's?
  13. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i went to GC the other day looking to play some stingrays, that's the only reason i made the hour trip. i'm getting a new bass, and i have it down to either stingray or sterling, and i was going to compare them. I get there and look, they don't have any stingrays OR sterlings. the spaces on the wall where these used to reside were taken by SUB's. i was mad. I did end up tryin the SUB out though, and it was terrible, imo. i missed the 3 band eq. and i don't know, it might not be, but the neck felt like i was holding a tree trunk.
  14. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

S.U.B. = ****ty Unlikeable Bass. :D

Seriously, I tried a 4-String Passive S.U.B. and I did not care for it. The finish was heinous, the pickguard was super cheeseball and IMO, it didn't even sound or feel as good as an OLP Bass. No exaggeration!

Look around for a used Stingray (as previously suggested). You will do much better, IMHO.

15. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    it's ok, but the money could be much better spent.
  16. Am I the only one who liked it? And why the HELL is everyone saying they find used Stingrays for the same price? All the used stingrays in my state are around 800 dollars.

I liked the SUB, got a good punky "balls-to-the-wall" tone. I liked the neck, was thick, but fast. But that could be because I have big hands.
  17. I own one. I dig it. The tone is great, the neck is nice and fast once you get used to the paint. No useable tones? *** are you people smoking. This thing rocks. I like the pickguard, I like the finish, I like everything. It cuts through. The only thing is, I don't like it for 650 without a case, so I got mine for 550 with a case. :)
  18. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    dirtrider, where did you gets yours for $550 with a case?

19. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm seriously considering buying one as a backup to my Ray 5, especially if I get back into touring again. I liked it. It's got that industrial, hard to damage, feel to it. The input jack is on the face rather than on the bottom, but I can handle that. The EQ knobs don't have a notch in the middle "Flat" position, but that's nothing.

It's got the same pickup as a 'Ray so it sound's a lot like a 'Ray. And there's no such thing as a used 'Ray in Austr. They're very rare and often cost the same as a new one.

I guess you either like that MM tone or you don't!
  20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    yep i've played em... there so so. i agree with the dude who suggested a used sting ray. i say hold out and save a bit more for the real deal!