Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So wht string should i try next on my ibanez btb405?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Suckbird, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    The bass is a ibanez btb405.

I have elixir on it now but i dont found them enough special to pay the price tag on them again so...

What should i try now?
    I'm a newbie to strings, have only used a noname brand string that came on my first bass, warwick yellow label and the elixirs...

I would like something punchy with a steve harris clikity-clonk sound, i guess.. :rolleyes:

I know steve harris has a signatur set but if i remember right then it was just a 4string pack...

2. You should really try a set of D'addario's. They are long lasting and have a great feel to them. As for the Steve Harris sound, or any sound in particular, EQ is the biggest part of it, not strings. You should really play whatever strings you like best and work on the sound through the amp.

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So give me some suggestions, going to order from stringsandbeyond.com

They have d'addario, ghs, elixir, eb, dr etc..

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Try some stainless steel strings for that sound. Rotosound RS66, Fender 7350, GHS Super steels etc

There are many good brands on the market

*Edit:* Where in Sweden are you, PM if you like :)

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Looks like they dont have the strings you named.
    I might aswell buy a set of flatwounds just to try for my 4stringer.

By the way, i live in Motala. About 25 miles away from stockholm.

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Try the standard Ernie Ball slinkies. I just bought a BTB510e and I'll be putting a set on after the Elixirs are done.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'll buy a pack of slinkies to my 4-string, i guess since i cant any 5string packages on their homepage..

Also, what's the difference between all slinkis? Super, regular, hybrid etc..
    and how do they compare to elixirs, wich is more than twice as expensive?

8. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    YOu should be able to order 5ers from a vendor and have them ship it to you in Sweden.
    The gauge of the strings in the set
    In my opinion Elixirs are not worth the money- they aren't twice as good as Ernie Balls but they are priced like they are.

Slinkys are actually pretty rough, Elixirs have the "Nano" coating which makes for a nice feel on the finger tips. While this nano coating is cool I don't really think it is worth the money. Also, this may just be me but Slinkys sound a little bit brigher and have better harmonics. In any case, they are wayyy cheaper then Elixirs and if you do a search on this forums you can see that they are a good value for the money.