Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So....why are strings so expensive?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 13, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I got some rotosounds with my bass. on the packet they said £10.
    and then when I was looking up these black beauty strings, they are 3 times that price.....

so why are they so expensive? is it beacuse rotosounds are made in the UK and black beautys arnt?(dunno where they are made).

or is it beacuse of its high tech coating?

since they are 3 times more expensive, does the coating make them last 3 times longer? or am I just dreaming.

thanks,

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The price is determined by the manufacturer and the supplier based on cost and sales therefore maximizing profit. If a particular brand sells at a certain price, why wouldn't they?

For instance, Elixer strings around around $40 a set, twice what regular D'Addarios or GHS Boomers cost, and claim to last at least twice as long in order to "justify" the price.

It's all a matter of choice.

They have $5.00 strings some like, others like the expensive stuff. For me, middle of the line D'Addario ProSteels and XL's are great for me.

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Much of it is marketing hype and gimmick. The good old brands like D'Addario XL's, GHS Boomers and Bassics, and Fenders will suffice nine times out of ten. I tryed them all and wasted lots of time and money. I do love the sound of Rotosound 66's but I won't use them because they tear up your frets.

4. Eh? - we still talking Rotosounds? - I've had mine on for about 2-3 years and I've never experienced (or even heard of) this...

5. I find TI Jazz Flats to be well worth the ~$40 they go for, but then again, they're so unique that there's not much to compare their price to. It's not like 'Rotosounds are more expensive than D'Addarios.' There's just nothing out there like TI JF's

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

I agree, I strictly use Rotosounds and I've never had a problem at all. Nor have I ever heard of that problem.

7. Most coated strings I've seen are more expensive than real strings, and claim to last longer. In the US D'addarios are the best for performance vs cost. I've had better for much more money. I've also had GHS Boomers. I put them on, tuned up, plugged in.... then cut them off, and put the old strings back on. The onyl time I've ever cut string soff, I usually save them for emergencies.

8. Try Australian Prices
    $56ish for GHS boomers and Rotosounds

Elixers? about $80 for a 4 string set
    $120-130 for a 5 string set:crying:

Dean Markley Blue Steels are aroud $100 for a 5 string set too

9. For anyone who doesn't speak the language of the Australian dollar (not that I do, but I can Google a currency converter like nobody's business), here's what that equals in USD:

Boomers/Rotos: ~$41
    Elixir 4's: ~$59
    Elixir 5's: ~$89-96

That sucks. :crying: