so why are the ti strings so expensive?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Feb 4, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I've never tried them but see they are highly recommended.Are they really worth the price??convince me
  2. They are really comfy to play-low tension and smaller windings so less finger noise. The ABG strings they make are awesome. There is a TB member called The Dude who sells them very cheap-like under $40.
  3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    They're unique. I have heard that they have silk under the windings, and from the feel of them I believe it. Not silky smooth feel, but flexible feel. You can roll them up in a smaller circle than most strings I've tried. The outer wrap seems to have been treated somehow that gives it a bit of a grippy texture. That will wear away after a while and leave a slicker feeling string. They tune to pitch at lower tension than most strings, and seem to produce a lot of harmonics and overtones for a flatwound. They are made in Austria by a company that makes strings for orchestral instruments, and is most likely accustomed to selling their product at premium prices. I like mine a ton and am glad I spent the $44.00 or whatever it was for the set of 4. I'm getting a great P vibe from my G&L with them. I can also get a tone or sound I guess I would call splatter. Sort of like the string bouncing off the fret a bit right at the beginning of a note. Good stuff to me.
  4. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    are ti's the only company that makes nickel flats?
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No, but they are the only one that makes flats with 100% pure nickel wraps.

They also have a wrap of silk under the nickel outer wrap. Thomastik Infeld have been making strings for orchestral instruments (violins, violas, cellos, URB, etc.) for over 100 years. Think those players aren't picky about strings?

When you think about it, since they don't use amps or effects, they totally get their sound out of their instruments.
    I wonder why more electric bass players don't put more effort into getting their sound from their bass and their strings, rather than trying to find that perfect amp or effect. Strings seem to be an afterthought for a lot of electric players...which I find to be quite odd.

The TI's are unique and one of a handful that are still handmade instead of done by a machine.

That's some of the reasons they are so expensive.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Funnily enough, they're cheaper than a lot of things in Australia (i.e. DRs, Chromes etc.)