1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

so why did you get married?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. so think way back....wayyy back when you were a young bloke

was it because she pressured you into it cause her mum said its the right thing to do?

was it cause you had a little surprise on the way?

was it because she wanted commitment from you, as a young guy who had had lots of gfs?

was it so you can have someone to look after you when you got old?

or maybe all of the above and you have your own reason to add?

2. RosieB

RosieB

Feb 10, 2009
    Edit: I'm out of this. Too much bashing.

3. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    None of the above, not even close. I wast young either I was almost 40.

4. Tele295

Tele295

Jan 8, 2002
    Ventura, CA
    Because I love her with all my heart

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Why do all your threads start with a bunch of loaded questions chock full of stereotypes?

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Didn't we already have one of these threads? :eyebrow:

7. Deja vu

8. bitter are you?

first, it was a bunch of questions with negative assumptions about having kids.

now, a bunch of questions with negative assumptions about getting married.

buddy, you have problems.

i can only advise you to RUN (not walk) to a psychiatrist, and see if he/she can help you.

davesignatureII-1.png

9. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Sure, the OP has a cynical view, and it's pretty clear what's on his mind
    But he specifically ask other participant to also add his or her own reason,
    not a bad start to a discussion.

However, OP received knee jerk responses and accusation of trolling with stereotype
    And accusation of instability

These overly defensive responses are in and of itself very much a stereotype as well
    In that light, I suggest those posters to seek help as well.

10. "KNEE JERK" responses? i think not.

sooooo....those of us who are happily married and have been so for years need to seek help? help doing what, exactly? are you suggesting that we should go to a shrink and get told that we are not as happy as we think we are? those of us who got married for any number of positive reasons need help, in that that is not natural?

i am not exactly sure why we need help.

no, i think not. if the OP didn't want to get married, he shouldn't have done so. if he did not want kids, he shouldn't have had them.....problem solved.

i feel about this type of thread exactly as i feel about threads bashing Guitar Center...if you don't like it, don't go there, if you don't like being married, do something about it.

davesignatureII-1.png

ps-edit- and, BTW, he did not ask for other reasons...read his list of questions. even the last said "maybe all of the above and you can add your own" or something like that. nowhere did he provide a positive option as a reason for getting married.

11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Because we love each other, and because it's a legally solid way to remove issues in the event of either of us dying while married.

12. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    Why I never married is an equally valid question.

One reason would be is that I never, at any time, ever, had a desire to have children or even a single child. That is the death of a major motivator for marriage.

Secondly, because I was so close to my parents and felt I had a pretty good understanding of what constituted the nature of a good marital relationship from the perspective that gave me, I was aware enough to know that I had never really found the partner with whom I shared such a relationship.

What I believe about marriage.

There is one indicator of marriage being the correct choice at any particular time. When you and your partner absolutely down to the marrow of your bones cannot stand NOT being married to one another, that's a pretty good sign the time is right.

One other reason I never married is that I took a tally of the number of divorces in my generally immediate family. There were enough of them that I realized the odds of my success were quite low, and that in combination with the above made it seem to be a low likelihood proposition in the first place.

iJazz - When you see the train coming down the tracks, the rational person doesn't think to play chicken with said train.

13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Looking back on it now, I really don't know why I married the woman I did. Really. It's like I saw the warning signs before hand but because I was a fool I ignored my better judgement. Thought it would all be good. I couldn't have been more wrong. But it all ended well. After 10 looooong years we got divorced in '93. The one good thing that came from it was my son who's now 29 and a father. So far so good over there.

To those who are happily married, good for you. But never again for me.

14. At least he didn't keep the "I was lonely" option. That cracked me up in kid thread.

15. I really wanted a ring for my left hand. I got married so I could wear one.

16. Not sure if masturbation joke or not. Either way, well played, sir.

17. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    "Icey101

if i come to the US whats the list of things i need to see....not like a tourist
    well i might be planned a trip with the misses and kids, if i was going to the States, what are the things i should see?...

i would rather see Disney World then Disney Land, i dont want to stare into the Grand Canyon or line up with any other tourists to see the usual stuff

Whats something unusual that would be a must see?"

Why don't you tell us why you're married with kids.

18. Thanks!

19. Illini10

Illini10

May 15, 2012
    Elmwood, IL
    I married my wife because, like iJazz said, I couldn't stand NOT being married to her. I've been with her 12 years, married for nine of those, and we've had some low moments. I can't imaging going through the bad stuff with anyone else but her.

We're equals, she's my best friend (I know that sounds like it is from a Hallmark card), she's incredibly easy on the eyes, and I'm as attracted to her at 36 as I was when she was 24. She's also given me two really awesome sons.

20. Women - you don't marry them, they marry you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.