So why do I need a "bass" pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 1, 2005.

1. This is a tone question I suppose. Why can't just fire my bass into some quiet mixer, then run the mixer into a power amp and away we go. I mean like an SVT pre-amp is about $500 new. Big bucks so what is that going to do vs a mixer/pre-amp?
  2. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    tone fool. expand(s) your horizion of sound.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the mixer has an instrument level input and tone controls voiced for electric bass you can do just that. A gate would be good to have too. And a compressor. Before you know it you've got a bass pre. But I'm sure that are choices for well under $500.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

what he said.

bass pre's have EQ's voiced for... what else? bass! a mixer is more a general purpose thing, that from what i think is actually voiced for vox.

course, most guys around these parts actually use a bonafide studiophile mic preamp, which usually have very flexible semi or fully parametric EQ's that allow them to shape the sound whichever way they wish. i.e. for a short while, i used a Presonus Eureka, and lots of guys here love the Millennia STT-1.
  5. Okay, 'sounds' good... It's just that most of the rigs i have played i set eq's pretty much flat, trying to replicate the tone of instrument itself, so was just working throught all this! Thanks...