Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So why do so many subjects start with "so"?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JimmyM, Dec 23, 2005.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Seriously. I've never seen anything like it!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why do so many for sale posts start with "feeler"? Is it for sale or not?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Exactly.

Or when for sale threads want "offers." Just put a price you would accept for the item and stop messing around. I'm always tempted to offer five bucks shipped to anyone who starts a thread like that.

There always the classic "custom bass for sale" threads. "This is the best bass I've ever laid my hands upon. I got it two months ago and it has made my playing better in just that short time. The tone is too die for; far better than anything you've ever heard. I'm selling this to fund a new bass because this flavor of the week bores me now."

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's an english thing.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So...what's wrong with using this as as a means of attacting people's attention...? :meh:

If I was in a normal social situation and wanted to start up a conversation, I think it woudl be quite normal to say : "So, Jimmy - what have you been up to..." or "So Jimmy , been getting many gigs lately..." etc. etc.

That's normal every day language - why be "unnatural" just for the sake of variety?

I would be much more surprised if people started titling threads :

On the offchance that one...
    Mayhap..
    Perchance...

:D

6. Probably for the same reason that COLLEGE students start writing assignments with the word, "Well," as in,

"Well, the first thing I'd do when asked to write a paper..."

If they turn something like that to me, they get an "F" for the assignment.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Kudos to you! Save the English language!

Just to give you a coronary, though, did you know that there is a young adult's novel written entirely as an IM conversation? I almost passed out in B&N right then and there.

8. Bruce Lindfield

But this isn't a formal communication like a college assignment - it's TalkBass - this is the way people talk!

So - how many jokes that are told orally, start with "So"...

As in :

So, three men walk into a bar...

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, how many Bruce Lindfields does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: Only one, but there's going to be a lot of these guys -> :meh: along the way.

10. Bruce Lindfield

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bruce, you couldn't have done that any better. :D I had typed the question and left the post as that. Then I thought of the answer just you posted your response, :meh: and all, simultaneously with my edit.

Thank you. :D :D

12. Jimmy, thanks for asking this question. You beat me to it..

If we could see each other's ages on TB, I think you'd find that most of the posters who lead out with the "So," are probably high schoolers or in their early 20's, and as such, are susceptible to picking up modern cultural language from movies, TV shows, and other media sources.

"So," is similar to other such previously enculturated phrases such as "Doh!", "Well, DUH!", and my current least favorite, "I was, like, ..." and all its variants.

They all go away eventually, but in the meantime they will annoy those who pay attention to such things.

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    starting with "Look , i am now making a point....." has the same effect for me

I cant stand it and wont read it

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree! And don't get me started on people that don't use punctuation!

;)

15. Bruce Lindfield

I'm in my 40s, but start sentences with "So" all the time - as mentioned in my posts above - I don't see why I should change my natural voice, just to provide variety for Jimmy M!! :meh:

;)

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, it's a nice change of pace to just type spontaneously vice the carefully worded academic style. Look, the English language is constantly evolving. We add words to it all the time (bling? access as a verb?), most of which will not go away. There is plenty to preserve but also plenty to build on. Things will always change. The challenge is for curmudgeons like us who think the old ways are infallible to keep pace. I'm like almost 40 but I have to stay current so I can understand the young men and women that I lead. :)

17. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    miles davis : "**** rubs off on you "

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    "whilst" is another one

darned commonwealth countries [excepting canada]

19. Starting a topic with "so" or "well" makes it sound like you're staring at the ground with your friend trying to force smalltalk.