Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So why does your voice sound different to you when you hear it played back

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 6, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Sorry for the long title guys.

So the question is, why do you sound different to yourself when you talk normally, but you always sound different to yourself when you hear yourself recorded?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    when you talk or sing you hear the vibrations in your own head... the playback is you talking at you as if someone else.

kind of like what you sound like on stage IS NOT what you sound like out in the crowd

I think... but I could be wrong

3. Digital pixies. Analogue pixies are a bit better, which is why vinyl sounds better, but digital pixies screw you up bad...

Actually, Speddling is totally correct. When you speak you hear your voice through the bones of your skull, not though yer earholes. This changes the sound somewhat.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    this is why singing opera is difficult...

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've heard my voice on wax, CD, and cassette, and I hated it on all of them! :mad: I've always wondered why my bedroom voice never came shining through! :p

6. Ditto. I'm always disappointed when I hear my recorded voice compared to the voice in my head (;)), and it seems as though this is the case with most people. I realize hearing it through your skull would be different, but why is it so much better that way? Does anyone actually prefer their recorded voice?

7. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I used to hate my recorded voice. I have a pretty high voice (mind you NOT "pretty, high) just plain high. I got used to hearing it.

I don't try and sing or anything, so it really doesn't matter.

8. I always thought I had a deep, suave voice. After I heard myself on a recording i sounded like a dork. :(

9. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    But when other people hear you on a recording, or through a PA, to them it sounds like your normal voice

10. me too, i always wondered why people said my impressions sucked, and why when people did an impression of me they did it with a really high voice...i didn't hear mysself as others heard me until two or three years ago...before that all i heard were home videos from when i was like 4

i was cute, which has since evolved into me being seeeeexxxxxxy :cool:

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I never trust my voice. I hear it in my head as fairly smooth and low, but on record, it's low/mids and growlier...I hear a P-Bass, but I speak Warwick Thumb, if you will.

Which is why I'm paranoid about singing, either in a band, or just hanging out in the car. Of course, I'm gonna start singing in a metal band eventually...

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't be paranoid about singing. What you hear in your foldback is pretty much what the crowd hears.

Why is it that everything in my life reminds me of a simpsons episode? MArge talking through Bart's little microphone and asking "oh god is that what I sound like?" as she clears her throat.. funny stuff

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's because of the layer of oil that coats the inside of everyones skull. Duh.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The part where Bart tricks Rodd and Todd into thinking he's God is halirous. :D

15. I prefer my recorded voice. Whenever i hear it I always ask my friends if its always as low as it is on the recording which suprises me becuase it ounds like just a nomal lowish voice to me.

16. the inner-head vibrations are also why you can hear yourself sing better when you're wearing ear plugs.

17. True. Many people have told me I sound better when they wear earplugs....

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've often wondered if people with Perfect Pitch hear in their head what they hear on recordings...anyone have any evidence for or against this? because if your voice sounds different in your head, then how is it that some people are able to hear pitches played and sing them back perfectly?

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You get used to the sound of your own voice. I have.

If it's any consolation, folks, John Lennon hated the sound of his voice when he heard it back.

I don't think perfect pitch has anything to do with it. Perfect pitch isn't being able hear pitches played and sing them back perfectly - that's called being able to sing in tune :D Perfect pitch is about recognizing pitches with no reference - i.e. hearing a note and knowing what the note is, with no reference.

And the sound you hear in your head doesn't differ in pitch to what you hear on a recording. It just differs in tone. However, the sound you hear in your head can mask pitch discrepencies. You can think you're singing in tune, because it sounds in tune in your head, and record it and find you're not quite as in tune as you thought.

(Another music thread in OT, by the way... what's going on folks?)