1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So why isn't there an electric racing series yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Muusers, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Let's be honest, electric cars are the future. It's never going to be hydrogen, and hybrid cars are just a step in between. Besides, if we really want to improve our knowledge and use of electric driving, nothing beats competition. Just sayin...

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Because it'd really quiet, and people just don't have the time to hang around for the 4 hour recharge "pit stops", which would consist of one guy plugging the car into an outlet. Of course he'll wear a helmet.

Serious tho, they'd have to have modular swappable battery systems...

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    Who will sponsor it?

Oil companies? LOLOLOLLOLOOL

No I dont believe they will.

4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yeah, I'd love to see an endurance race with electric cars.

Imagine how exciting the pitstops will be.

5. That's actually not a bad idea, but I dont think the battery technology would be able to keep up with how hard the cars would be driven. They would probably run out super fast. :-\

6. We could make it more interesting by attaching giant tesla coils to the top of each car. Imagine the added element of strategy of discharging a portion of your own car's power to short out that of your opponent.

OR we could just race bumpercars around! Should take too much effort to convert existing speedways to accommodate them.

Then again, auto racing is pretty freaking boring any way you look at it. Best not to beat a dead horse... unless your only alternative entertainment is racing, that is.

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    they could have a suspended power grid LIKE bumpercars, with the long antenna tehter coming off the back....but it would obscure the view. And if you made it like slot cars, well, that would be awesome if you let the pit-crews control the cars, with the "driver" just "along for the ride", scared s***less and screaming the entire race. THAT I would pay to see.

8. We're building an electric racecar for formula student. Last year it showed that the fastest electric racecar was 0.2 seconds faster on 0-100, which they did in 3.7 seconds. Making modular battery packs is one of the easiest problems to be tackled. Besides, there are enough electrical companies that will sponsor it. AND it's green, that means that more companies will be persuaded to spend some dough on it because of image.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Will there be exciting crashes, malfunctions, and a cast of colorful characters with dramatic personal lives?

10. Probably

11. Agreed.

12. I had a longer version I was contemplating, but in the end the answer can be summed up with one word: money.

Mike

13. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    What? Where did you get that? The future points to nothing but hydrogen for cars. You are grossly uneducated about this subject, my friend.

14. Maybe if hydrogen wasn't so hard to store and wasn't so flammable it would actually be a usable source of power. It's low ignition point makes it hard to use in regular IC engines. Unless you're talking about fuel cells.

Also, right now, we're using hydrogen to power our cars. It's just attached to carbon molecules.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

lol.

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    It would be interesting to see how it's going to affect driving techniques. Cornering and braking would be so spooky for today's professional drivers.

I suspect some teams will come up with "emulator"-modules to make the electric car react like one with a combustion engine. And then the FIA would change regulations on that every year. :D
    Kinda like a Sansamp for your electric engine.

Hey Daniel (Muusers), you mention that modular battery packs are easy. Any idea of the durability of such things?
    I fear that if big money would ever come involved it would lead to teams using new batteries every races, that would not be enviromental.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, there is always belt sander drag racing.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, saw that...hahaha

"Nuh uh"

"Yeah huh!"

"NUH UH!"

;):D

19. +1

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Right on! Back in the early 70s lap times were at right about 4 seconds for this standard Blue King 155 ft. track. ;)

[​IMG]

There are still world records being kept for this particular track model, which I used to race on in many different places in the late 60s/early 70s. The legal voltage has been increased over the years, and by 2007 the world record was ~1.4 seconds.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021