So yeah.....about those 2005 Mustang GT's.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I test drove one today.

4.6 L, 3 valve V8 with a 5 speed. Mineral gray, for those wanting details.

Dad and I get to the dealership, and since he knows one of the salesmen really well, we get to take it for a spin by ourselves. Dad drives it out of the parking lot and heads toward the interstate. Long entrance ramp onto the interstate, and dad leaves it in 3rd. About 100 feet before the entrance onto the interstate, dad punches it to the floor---still in 3rd mind you. Instant reaction--I'm thrown back against the seat. Doesn't let off until just before redline (6000 rpm)---speedometer reads 90. Slams it into 4th, accelerates to 4000 rpm at 115 mph and PLENTY of pedal left to go.

All I can say is wow. I've never driven an extremely powerful car before, but this thing was absolutely amazing. I accidentally squalled the tires at about 20 mph going from 1st to 2nd, then barked them from 2nd to 3rd. Touchy accelerator, to say the least :D

Anyways yeah....anybody that's considering them should definitely give them a shot---I guarantee that you'll be hooked from the moment you hear the engine rumble to life.

Some pics for the overly curious....

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I tihnk they look nice and ive always loved mustangs to death, but i could never see myself owning a Ford or Chevy. I just dont trust them :-/ Ive seen too many people through money into them as they keep having problems ..etc.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Most of these people don't take care of their cars as they should, and that is why they have problems. Most foreign cars use synthetic oils that have longer oil change intervals, but is quite a bit more expensive. But this is only one aspect of it. I have driven Ford and Chevy and so has my family, and they have been some of the most dependable cars I have seen.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I question the veracity of that statement. My Nissan uses normal oil as do most other foreign cars that I know of.

brad cook
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey hoser!!

I sent you a PM about your Sunn.

As far as the new Mustang. A chick at work bought one. I parked next to it the other day. Very nice car. I haven't heard it running yet since she comes in after me, and I leave before her.

6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Older ones do, yes. I was really refencing newer ones. I should have been more specific. But I also find that parts are more available, and cheaper. Like with my wife's old Mitsubishi, a distributor, empty, was $300. An ignition coil, $300, ignition module, $300. But the whole assembly of the three is $300. I just find I have better luck with domestic makes. But your mileage my vary.
  7. Just more proof that.

Ford > Chevy
  8. yeah, there is a new black 2005 mustang that is parked on looks so cool.

I want one!
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I hated the last generation of mustangs, but ever since the first concept shots of this car came out I've been drooling over it. The most attractive aspect of the car is the amount of performance for the price. A bright red GT drove by me on my way hoem from school a few weeks ago and it really purrs.

How is the interior? I always felt I was reaching to get the shifter into 3rd and 5th. Seems to be a common problem with the last generation.

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Dear Ford, please manufacture the new Mustang with a 32 valve supercharged 429 with 6 speed and a 3:55 rear end. I promise I will buy one. Thank you, stinsok.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Maybe the high end Beemers use synthetics, but the majority of cars (foreign/domestic, new/old) use good old fashioned dinosaur oil. Heck, I even run dino oil in my racecar. Keep the oil and filter changed every 3000 to 5000 miles and I dont see the need for synthetic oil in a streetcar.

Seems the new push in the oil market these days (particularly in Hondas and Fords) is 5W20 oil.

Ty- the performance reports I've seen on the new GT's put the car in the high 13 second range in the quarter mile, which is pretty good for "off the showroom floor". I kinda wish they would have offered the 5.0 as an option, as I see the upgrade potential being greater for it than the 4.6 engine.

I do like that Ford managed to keep the nostalgia look of the 69/70 Mustang, now I wish that GM would re-invent the 69 Camaro, and make it affordable.
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Mike, there are build it yourself steel bodies of the 69's IIRC. But you have to build them from scratch almost completely, and they are not cheap... But good for the DIY'er with some money to throw around.
  13. theyre hawt, thats for sure!
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me too. Which foreign brands come from the factory with synthetic oil?

16. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I <3 the new Mustang GT. Actually, I <3 just about any Mustang GT, except for the 1996-1998 model years, because they're stupid and I hate that body style.

<---jealous, because I haven't even tried to test drive one yet.
  17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Fossil v synthetic is less an import v domestic thing than it is an engine development direction thing. Corvettes have been leaving the factory with Mobil1 for years. There's no problem with replacing the Mobil1 with good ole fossil based oil.

Glad to see you're getting good dependability in Fords and Chevys. Both companies have really improved significantly in terms of reliability and dependability. Perception is a hard thing to turn around. As far as dependability goes, I had an '87 Vette from '87 'til around 2000. When I sold it it had over 90,000 miles on it. I can assure you it was not babied. I drag stripped it at Milan Speedway many times. Took lots of long weekend trips. Buffalo, NYC, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Toronto. Autocrossed it a couple summers. I know the guy who has it now. He still drives it a lot in the summer. Never needed an overhaul. Transmission and suspension are still tight as ever. Replacing the exhaust is the most significant repair it's had in the 17 years it's been raising hell in southeast Michigan.

As for the new Mustang....Ford did good. It's a sharp ride and it's retro wiithout looking stupid. I still prefer the new Corvette.

18. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I might just break when the ZO6 variant is out. The straight 'vette is damn quick as it is. I think the styling of the C6 is significantly better than the C5. It almost reminds me of a Mosler. Much more agressive.
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My mom just got one the other day... Twas her christmas present... Traded in her Highlander towards it.

She got the full beefed up package... 345hp v8 5-speed manual...

it rules. Dibs on it when she dies...

She also has a bitchin 64 1/2... But she sucks and won't let me drop a big block 350+ceramic pipes in it. :spit:
  20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Guitar Center gave me a Mustang convertable once. Really. And I still hate them. GC, that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.