Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So yeah, going to see Duran Duran

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Dec 22, 2004.

1. And I'm pretty psyched. My Wife only asked for one thing for x-mas, and it was for tickets to see Duran Duran. How could I say no? The show isn't until April 1st, in Boston. It's a while off yet, but I imagine it'll be pretty great to see the whole original lineup together again. My Wife had seen them on the last tour with Terrence Trent D'Arby openning, and she said they (DD) were good, but not the same, you know?

Now, I prefer Warren C. to Andy Taylor playing wise, but nothing beats original issue in these type of shows. It'll be nice to see John Taylor laying down them tasty notey grooves he killed on some 20 years ago....ah, waxxin nostalgic.

So, does anyone have the new record? Is it decent? Is anyone else going to this tour???

2. Duran Duran is one of my guilty pleasures ( shh!, dont tell my friends) . I am pretty envious, id love to see em live, but i doubt theyd even come near mississippi.

I do have the new album, its pretty good, im not big on the ballads, but mostly its pretty good. John puts out some cool grooves as always.

Have fun :)

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had to hide my love of Duran Duran from my friends back in the eighties. John Taylor was one of my early bass influences, right after Geddy Lee.

4. Is anyone familiar with the Neurotic Outsiders? It was a project from 96 with Johnny Taylor, Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum.

God, what a rock record.

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Same here, I love his line behind the sax solo in Rio in particular.

In fact the whole Rio album has some great bass gems on it. New Religion made an impression on me for sure.

6. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    I finally got off my butt and bought my tickets yesterday. Duran Duran is playing here in Vancouver on March 4th. I obviously waited far too long, though. My wife and I will be in the nosebleeds. But, it's still a hell of a lot closer than I've ever been to the always great Mr. Taylor. I'm really looking forward to seeing the band, and hopefully John's signature Aria Pro II SB1000!

As far as their latest CD, "Astronaut", is concerned -- I'm not overly blown away. I have to admit that the glory days are definitely behind these guys. But, there are still a few good moments on the disc. (I actually really enjoyed their last studio disc -- the very rarified and much maligned, "Pop Trash". All you DD fans should really try and track this one down.)

But, the point here is that the original lineup is back together. Can't beat that.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to Miscellaneous.

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    DURAN DURAN??????????????/ Don't get me started.......My wife went to thier concert about a year ago, that was $65 a ticket. Then they announce another tour with a date here in Chicago. To make sure she got tickets, since they sell so quickly, she joined the fan club in order to purchase "pre-sale" tickets........$30. Then she buys a floor seat..........$75. So I'm in the hole $105, no biggie.....I tell her that's her christmas present. Well, 2 days later she wins 2 tickets from a local radio station. ***........That's my luck!!!! :rollno: