Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So yeah, I played with Jim Carroll last nite.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Jim is one cool mother. Equal parts Andy Warhol, David Bowie, Woody Allen, and spaced out bohemian. This guy has LIVED! And lived hard. The connsumate NY Beat Poet.

He performed spoken word in Worcester Mass. last night. My group, the Curtain Society ( www.curtainsociety.com ) was the band to follow his readings. Already a very cool honor. My group covered "it's too late" at our first show ever, 15 years ago. Really nice to come full circle in such an awesome way.

Now Jim has not performed music in 15 years, so what a planet-aligning event. He hadn't really prepared, and we never rehearsed with him, yet we launched into a seamless rendition of It's too late straight into People Who Died, and the place lost their collective minds. Absolute pandemoneum.

A double honor to be on the bill, and then to be the band he decided to pull away his musical reservations for. A true blessing, and a moment I'll cherish forever.

And, he signed my copy of Basketball Diaries. True that.

Wow. I'm tired but still elated.
    Ron

2. oh man I remember that from the '70's!

"Bobby had leukemia, 14 years old...looked like 65 when he died...he was a friend of mine"

that guy right??

3. That's him. The same. Great song. Great guy. It was a most kewl experience.

Yeah, his album came out in 1980, and it changed my perception of rock when I heard it for the first time @ 86...late to the game I suppose.... v:O)

Good times. :bassist:

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    How funny is that?!? Last night while driving home from dinner, I caught People Who Died on one of the XM stations - I was like "hey! I remember this song! rock!" I hadn't heard it in yeeeeeeeeerz.

Good deal on the show! Congrats!

5. Thanks Jammadave. I just got news that the promoter of the show talked to Jim's manager, and he couldn't believe Jim performed music... he was quite surprised.

What's better, is Mr. Carroll wants to come back to MA, and he wants to do an entire music set with my band as supports. THAT is friggin cool as sh*t.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Man, being Jim Carroll's band has just a *tiny* bit of coolness to it. :hyper:

I had a similiarly synchronicitous "People Who Dies" event recently too; it was a question at bar trivia the other night. Oooh-wheee-oooh. The cosmos lurches forward, and leaves you on a gig w/ literary and rock gliteratti.

Totally in-f'ing-credible, Mon. Congrats!

7. Supermonkey, thanks a million. I'm very excited about the prospect. I hope it comes to light.

Ahhhh. Yup, it's cool. v:O)

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome Mon, that's cool beyond words!