So yesterday was a nice evening. Amp test (Gallien Krueger, Mesa, Darkglass, Aguilar content...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Aug 30, 2019.

Which one do you like the most?

Poll closed Sep 9, 2019.
  1. Gallien Krueger Mb500

34.8%
  2. Darkglass Microtubes

30.4%
  3. MesaBoogie Sd800

21.7%
  4. Aguilar Tonehammer

26.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Endorsing Artist: Gr Bass, Pyramid Strings, MPE Audio
    As said yesterday was a nice evening. Had the possibility to try some wonderful bass heads. At the end it was a tough choice. Let's say I didn't have any "personal favs". Every amp sounded great that's a thing that has to be said. I've tried them with the Mesa powerhouse 410 box, then (not pictured) with my Schroeder Mini 12+ boxes and then recorded them directly through the Focusrite in the DAW. To cut short I'll put it this way:
    The GK is a great all rounder ('been my main amp for 4 years) and a covers all the tones of those other amps (so I'll keep it as a backup).
    The Aguilar lets the instrument come out, has a great warm tone, scoped a little in the mids so if I had to chose just one amp (fortunately not) that would be the Aguilar for shure.
    Speaking of the Darkglass it just sounds somehow organic and full, the MIDs selection is super useful at least for my playing plus the feature of their overdrives incorporated is fantastic. Not to speak about the power which is massive.
    The Mesa is a great amp but at my taste too scooped, everything just sound huge, "amplified", the mids just booms out, lots of headroom... reminds me somehow of the Ampeg heads with more clarity. The basses sounded HUGGGE through the Mesa head, but if you tweak a bit the Darkglass and the Mesa sounded similar.
    So ... said that I do own the Gk and the Darkglass which I'll keep. Since I'm planning to switch, at least for some situations, to the IEM system I will buy myself a Tonehammer pedal DI and then basically this will cover everything I need. For now.

Soundcloud link (please don't be picky on my playing... I've had a superstressfull week and just the hype of trying this amps kept me awake :) ):
    johnpaulbass

Basses used: Fender Precision Custom Shop '64 reissue relic, Sadowsky Rv5 metro

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Matthias and vanderbe like this.
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Which Mesa model? We don't make an Sd800, just a D-800 and WD-800.

Wisebass likes this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space

sct8.jpg

Maybe this one? johnpaulbass said it sounds like an Ampeg. :laugh:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

DaveDeVille likes this.
  4. from his pics attached to the post it looks like the Subway D-800.

5. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Jep. You are right. D800

Wisebass likes this.
  6. Very nice - is the settings on the amps in the pictures how you had it for the recordings? Where was the tone knob set on the P Bass?

7. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    Yes. More or less.

The tone on the P bass was a “slightly” open

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Wasn't able to see the photo.

9. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Very interesting. GK clearly wins it for me: very powerful and well defined low mids, lively highs.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022