1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So you effects guys got another one...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by g&lplayer, Apr 28, 2010.

1. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    So i bought my first "real" pedal yesterday (I have had the digitech BP-200 for a while but that doesn't really count) and it's the DoD-FX25B. I already have plans to get some distortion/fuzz (probably the bass big muff pi) and OC-2 within the next month and I have a couple of basic questions that I would appreciate being answered. My setup right now sounds sick and since I have a ton of important gigs coming up this summer, this effects setup also needs to be high quality and awesome sounding.
    First of all, I have searched everywhere in the forums, and on the web but what is the use of an effects loop and how is it different than just plugging your bass directly into the effects? Also, i noticed some PEDALS come with an effects loop (like the groove regulator which i want to get as soon as I can save up enough cash) but then again, some amps come with effects loops.
    Why would you say, use an effects loop on a pedal versus getting a pedal which is a loop selector and just setting up your loop that way?
    Does an effects loop usually involve directly routing your entire signal through the loop when its activated, or is an effects loop something which is used to mix the effected sound with the dry sound?
    Are loops line level or instrument level?
    Do certain pedals sound better at line level?
    Also, some loops have an in and an out, but i noticed the Radial big shot has only one 1/4" effects loop jack. Is this both the in AND the out?

Sorry this is so long but I love the DoD, and want to use the Digitech for a while as a delay/swell effect but they are both VERY far away from being true bypass. My electronics skills aren't great, but my soldering skills are really good and so my plans are to build a fairly complex loop pedal which:

-is true bypass
    -has at least two effects loops
    -can blend my dry signal with the signal coming in from either loop
    -has at least one effects loop which boosts the signal coming into the return (should this be a full on preamp? or should I instead just build a compressor into the pedal as well?)
    -Also acts as a power supply for any and all of my pedals, so that selecting a loop on or off ALSO turns the power to the pedals in that loop on or off

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Just curious, why do you want to cut power from the pedals in a loop when it isn't in use?

3. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    Lol, thats a good question. I honestly have no idea. At the time I thought it would be to save on battery life but for the life of me I can't figure out how i didnt realize that with a power supply the pedals aren't going to be on batteries anymore.

4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Okay, about loops: an effects loop in a pedal, such as the Groove Regulator, allows the effects within that loop to effect the output of the pedal, but not the input. This is useful for things like envelope filters which key off the signal going in, as a clean signal will feed it with clean dynamics for better responsiveness that could otherwise be impacted by feeding a distorted signal, et cetera, into it. Bass --> filter (dirt in loop) sounds and responds differently than bass --> dirt --> filter. For an example of this difference, check out Ed Friedland's video demo of the Chunk Systems Brown Dog and Agent 00Funk on Youtube. Note that the effects within a loop like this generally cannot be used independently of the pedal whose loop they are within (not because it can't be done; it's just a matter of not being offered, as it's more complex, thus more expensive).

True bypass loops are useful for effects with bad bypasses (like Moogs), for accessing pedals in a large, crowded pedalboard, and for grouping pedals together for a one-stomp activation.

The effects loops on amp heads operate at line level (not instrument level, the way stompboxes do) and are general intended for rack gear. Stomps are generally intended for instrument level, but you are always encouraged to try it both ways--sound is subjective.

As for the Radial Big Shot, which one are you looking at? There are several different Big Shot products.

Edit: I see you mentioned dry blending also, which is a bit of a different beast than a simple tbp loop. Which are you looking for, simple bypass loops or a blender? Also, why would you want to build a pedal power source into a bypass looper? That sounds like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.