Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So... you guys saw that Yanni got arrested, right?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Fascinating.

bc

*Words in italics added by DigMe

2. So, the most musically boring person on the planet actually did something interesting? Isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?

Rock on
    Eric

3. Hey he's Greek. He can't be that bad.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If I were you I wouldn't claim him.

bc

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    They dont say anything about any real injuries. What's the best theyve got... he thinks he hurt his finger? Silliness.

6. He'll probably hook up with Enya next, just to further increase the boredom quota

7. If I were you I would be an idiot.

Just kidding, Brad. I have actually never heard his stuff. Perhaps I am underestimating the horror that is Yanni.

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Yanni is comparable to a slow death by water torture.

Or a root canal with simultaneous toenail removal (via forceps).

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I always knew that he was secretly hXc.

10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    He was chill/happy on the outside; but a raging beast underneath the skin.

It looks like his true colors are finally seen.

Nobody makes crappy music (IMO :) ) like that and stays that happy. Nobody.

Not even Yanni anymore.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I guess you guys don't like Yanni or something . . .

I love his music. Really, really love it. He's covered a lot of ground, maybe not harmonically but certainly texturally and compositionally. It's too bad he flew off the handle. I think this is going to be another Alex Lifeson case where I love the artist too much to make this affect my opinion.

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I liked the Jimmy Kimmel Show version. They had an emergency news bulletin that Yanni had kidnapped and sexually assaulted Kenny G.

They went into detail too. It was pretty freakin' funny.

When did he and Linda Evans break up? The only thing I ever new to separate him from other soul-stealing new age musicians was that he was married to a night time soap actress.

By the way; Q: What do you get when you play New Age music backward? A: New Age music. :D

I remember when my old keyboard player, who could tolerate new age better than I could, was listening to this one CD. I said "Eric, how can you stand this? It's just an endless solo over an endless two chord vamp." He replied "That makes it good new age. Bad new age is often just the endless two chord vamp."

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I missed this story.

-Mike

14. Somehow, I can't imagine this. :rollno:

Mike :D

15. yanni lives next door to hartley peavey.

robb.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So I must say that I reserve judgement on most music until I hear it. I thought I had never seen any Yanni, but I'm pretty sure I have heard this in like a Starbucks, New Agey Dreamcatcher kind of shop. I'm out of my head over here and slightly drunk, so I was clicking through the channels and saw the Yanni thing. The music was mildly compelling. He had some talented musicians on stage, that were very well-executed in what they do, but the whole performance reminded me of some kind of women's, semi-homo-erotic performance complete with this dude that looks like he came off the cover of the Thornbirds. The whole stage was choc full of them, giving each other these winks and nods while they played. It reminded me of some weird scene from Fantasy Island. I swear, I know nothing else of this Yanni character, but I think this is all I need to know. I remember seeing this thread and thinking to myself, who the hell is this Yanni character. I think the most amazing thing about the whole thing was that I kept watching. He had this Arabian sounding song, and for some reason I kept watching. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Musically not only could I not fault it, but these dudes were really good players, but in the end I just had to throw my arms up. It was all so serious and poised, and weirdly intense. I had to turn it off when my wife caught me on the counch with some kind of expression between a dropped jaw and a smirk. I turned it off. I will never seek this weird beast out, and I doubt that I will even recognize it if I hear it in one of those dumb dreamcatcher shops in the mall, and to tell you the truth, I like it that way. In fact I find comfort in this idea. If I never see that again I will indeed count my blessing and consider my life charmed.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

That'd be John Tesh, not Yanni.

Yanni has actually done something of musical worth before - that live album at the Acropolis was pretty cool. The bass player was awesome, as was the drummer (Charlie Adams?) and the solo violinist on that gig.

His piano noodling CDs, however....

18. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    If John Tesh and Yanni did an album together; that would truly bring forth an apocalypse of banality of the likes humanity had never seen before.

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    necro thread ftw.

and woah, maki. brew some decaf. :eyebrow: