1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So you like Geddy Lee but you're a P bass player at heart?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    No problem :smug:

[​IMG]

Haven't seen one of these before. Again, I am just superbly impressed by Fender Japan :D

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Need more info!

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
  4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    "Better" would be relative in this situation. I like the specs on the Dunns, but I don't believe they are available yet and the Skyline version is probably about twice the price of the MIJ Fender, even if you assume some pretty stiff shipping charges from Japan.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree with you, but after figuring in the differences in shipping, and the upgrades for Fralins, and Hipshots, your probably only at a couple hundred $'s difference. If you can afford it, it's a fairly small price to pay for Lakland build quality, playability and service.

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Model- PB70B-87US/BLK

"ヴィンテージ ・ USA ・ pickup loading! ! To equip the pickup fence, the block in ray of 、 black
    Feature 70 プレベ! !"

A little over 600 USD. That's the best I could do with this crappy translator.

8. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I wouldn't pay more for a Skyline over a Japanese Fender. I've owned both.

9. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    If any of you have done this:

How do you go about buying a Japanese Fender (outside of going to Japan?) Will any of the stores sell and ship to here? (and do you need a translator to get that done?)

10. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd go with Ishibashi. Go to ishibashi-music.com and email them with whatever model you're looking for. So far, I haven't actually cought anything from them, but I've emailed them asking about a couple different models. They got back to me really quickly, and the prices they quoted (including shipping, actually) seemed more than fair.

There's also guitarjapan.com, which is the easiest site to navigate I've found that has Fender Japan stuff.

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Based on current prices, I think it's safe to say you will never buy a skyline again...

I haven't owned both. I currenly own a skyline 55-01, but I have played numerous CIJ fenders and Skylines of different stripes at the Lakland factory. I have to say that based upon my experiences, I would not have a problem paying more for a Skyline than even a MIA Fender. The quality and components and service more than justify the price.

As always, to each his own...

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Certainly not one of their Fender copies; I don't see the point.

But, what was the point of this thread again? Oh right, nice bass! I've ordered from Ishibashi before and it was as easy as ordering from musiciansfriend and it got here faster. You just have to watch the exchange rates. They apply the rate at the time it is billed to your card; usually not a big difference unless something catastrophic happens in the US or Japanese markets.

13. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Laklands are fine basses, but even if we assume that shipping costs $150 from Japan (which I think is high), you can still get a MIJ Fender for roughly half the cost of the Skyline. So, even if one agrees that Laklands are superior to MIJ Fenders, logic would dictate that they SHOULD be, since they cost twice as much. You're making an apples to oranges comparison.

God forbid you ever bring up a Fender. Somebody is gonna tell you how some other manufacturer does Fender better than Fender. ;)

Back on point. Sweet bass, I need to email Ishibashi to get a price. I'm a sucker for black blocks, and I am in need of a P bass.

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'm curious, how much was shipping from Japan? I am quite in love with Lakland, but there are still some CIJ fenders that make me drool... (ex. Red Jazz with matching headstock and blocks)

The CIJ Fenders I've played make me feel about MIA Fenders the way you feel about Skylines.

15. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I did, because after playing many a Fender, I found that the sound and quality of the Laklands outmatched the same style of Fender. Especially especially especially on the 5 stringers, so much so that I bought a JO5 :hyper:

16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I bought the natural version of that bass from Guitarjapan. I am very impressed with it. Payment to GJ can be made via Paypal and once confirmed, you should have it in a week. Shipping is a bit steep, but the CIJs are, in my opinion, far superior to the American Fenders.

17. guy n. cognito

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you don't mind me asking, what did shipping cost?

18. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    If I remember correctly, it was in the neighborhood of $120 or so. That was a couple of years ago at a time when the exchange rate was pretty good for the USD. I'm sure guitarjapan and ishibashi can give you a definite number. Ishibashi was very responsive from when I was dealing with them, but they do have a 13 hr time difference.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No kidding. :meh:

20. Wow! Does anyone know if that's the same neck as the Geddy, or just the same finish/inlays? I really want a P-Bass to go with my Geddy, but I can't stand the necks. If that's the slim neck, I'm sold.