so you think your smart... (braintester)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jade, Sep 14, 2002.

1. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    .. can u solve this?

A census taker called at a house in a village, knocked at the door and said to the resident, Mr.Jones: "I require the ages of your three daughters."
    "Well," said Mr.Jones, "If you multiply their ages together you get a total of 72 and if you add their ages together it will equal the number of my house."
    "That is insufficient information," said the census taker.
    "Well," said Mr.Jones, "my youngest daughter has a dog with a wooden leg."
    "Thank you," said the census taker, "I have enough information now."
    What are the ages of Mr.Jones' daughters?

sooo.. anyone know the answer? and if you get it can u explain how u got it too. :confused:
  2. No, i can't, but your braintester got my brain offline for a couple of minutes...

3. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca

Assuming that the number of his house will be 13 and that a three year old girl has a three legged dog.

Other than that it could be many things.
  4. Not enough info, sorry. You can find out many solutions but there's no way of knowing if you've got the right one.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Worst Brainstester Ever
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I refuse to take a test from someone who's unqualified to give it.

Check your spelling.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe you should email that one to Marylin vos Savant or whatever her name is in the Ask Marylin section of the Sunday Parade newspaper insert.

I can't see there could be an obtainable answer without further info. Unless the wooden legged dog is some obscure reference to something.

brad cook
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    1, 8, 9
    2, 6, 6
    2, 3, 12
    3, 4, 6
    2, 4, 9

Perhaps there are more... take your pick.

I must be missing some assumption you're supposed to make from the wooden legged dog, or the fact that the youngest daughter owns it, but I can't see any mathematical way of choosing the right combination of ages.

Edit: OK, gave it some thought. I believe the answer is 2, 6, 6. The census guy said he needed more info because he couldn't choose. That implies there's two choices with the same answer. The only two combinations that give the same sum are 3,3,8 and 2,6,6. The father said "my youngest daughter has a dog..." - that could rule out the three year old twins - so it has to be the other option. The daughters are 2, 6, and 6 years old.

So, does that mean I'm smart, or just a smart-aleck? ;)
  9. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    i'm sorry :( , english wasn't my first language.. i'll fix it.
  10. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    i don't think there is a right answer, the answer is right as long as you can explain yourself.
  11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    X= age of youngest
    y= age of middle child
    z= age of oldest
    q= house number

x * y * z = 72
    x + y + z = q (census taker would know this number)

not enough info. for a three variable problem you usually need enough info to form three separate equasions.
  12. Or maybe there isnt three kids after all, maybe he just said that.. and the fact they have a disabled dog.. in the hope to claim government benefits....

hmmm can u tell i'm australian? :p

13. Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    Anders is right... unless... the youngest daughter was born the same year as the middle one.
  14. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  15. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Enough info for me to find a similar question (and fortunately the answer)

In your example the youngest daughter had a wooden dog the twins must be the oldest pair so the correct answer is (as Anders said) 2, 6 and 6.
  16. IF that is the true way of answering it, then it is not a valid brain tester... It forces you to live by assumptions that are not backed in the problem... even with twins there is a youngest, and also the same year birth idea could be true. I happen to know some same same age non-twin siblings...