Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, you think YOU'VE got bugs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Jun 2, 2004.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was straightening up the supply room at my office and I ran across a coupla critters that had fortunately long since succumbed to the exterminator's juice. Mind you, I've definitely encountered live specimens of both in the past up in these parts. I was recently at the old building where my office used to be, and found on the floor a dessicated baby centipede, of a species that is venomous and grows to 10"+ (I know because I've encountered full grown adults, too!)...

:eek:

On the left is a black widow spider, and on the right is a scorpion... as viewed from my flatbed scanner! ;)

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im continually thankful that i dont live in a place with things like that!

3. Ditto.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I killed a big black widow on my phone once at the computer company I worked at...right where I was about to put my hand. Our land in the country and the house that sits on it has plenty of scorpions around. They aren't deadly though...the bite is much milder than a black widow. My dad has been stung a couple of times but somehow I've managed to escape being stung so far. The bigger threat on our land is rattlesnakes though I'd say. I see those ocassionally in the summer.

brad cook

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, an admin person at the office was bitten by one of these scorpions and it was no worse than a typical bee or wasp sting... speaking of which... these critters don't bother me so much -- really -- they prefer corners and crevices and aren't actively looking for people to bite/sting. I am however, downright phobic of wasps. If there is any place free of wasps, hornets and their ilk, THAT is where I want to live!

:)

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    From my entomology class I can tell you that what you have there probably isnt a black widdow. Its abdomen seems too small compared to the rest of the spider from that picture. I cant even see the hourglass marking which distiguishes them but even if it has it, its probably just another species which has adapted the markings as defense.

That scorpion in likely pretty poisonous. Though its not always the case, it is usually the smaller scorpions with small claws that are more poisonous. Smaller species need stronger poisons since they dont have the big claws to hold their prey or intimidate predetors.

Of course, its just an intro course so I could have just spouted out a bunch of BS.

Peace
    Nick

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Dude, where have you been Donk? Haven't seen you around at all lately. Was startin to think you'd been devoured by those wasps in your back shed, haha.

:D

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You might not want to watch this, then:

stream.eizodana.com/olympus/m01_hi.wmv

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    As far as I know:

- there are indeed a number of spiders that have the same overall look as the Black Widow (same shape, dark brown or deep red color) but aren't deadly

- however, the ONE thing that is (still) an absolute postive identifier for Black Widows is the hourglass. edit: sorry, this is wrongThere is no other spider we know of that looks at all similar and has that marking as well.

10. So THIS is absolutely positively a Black Widow!

Found it last year under a water bag around the pool. I've lived all over in the woods but I've never seen one bigger.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It's a black widow... it's just shrivelled up. The first time I encountered black widows at my office, I was skeptical. A coworker identified several spiders as black widows, and they indeed had a red spot on them, but the shape of the body and the spot weren't quite right. I was skeptical, thinking my yahoo coworker didn't know what she was talking about. Turns out they were juveniles - a couple weeks later those same random-looking webs were occupied by textbook specimens! Eeek! I had contemplated touching one of them just to show up my co-worker. Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't make that mistake!

Hey Jay - man, I've actually had real work to do in the office (I hate it when that happens), so I haven't been around as much in the real or virtual world. (Jay can testify to my aversion for wasps, btw!!!) I *think* things are starting to slow down -- I'll try to catch up with ya soon!

12. Its official...im never sleeping again...i knew i should have stayed out of this thread.
    Thank you Hambone for your contribution in seeing me never sleep again.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats definetly a BW. Notice how the abdomen is much larger than the rest of the body and has that marking? You dont see that in other bugs that mimic BWs.

I guess the one in SD's pic is just hard to see.

Peace
    Nick

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I thought that only the female Black Widows had that bulbous abdomen and the red marking. Eh. I'm probably wrong.
    Once my friends dad lit one of fire with a can of hair spray while we were moving a pile of bricks in the backyard. It ran an entire lap around the swimming pool while on fire! It was one of the best things this arachniphobe has ever seen!

EEK! My phone vibrated in my pocket as I was typing this! Scared the CRAP out of me, fearing it was a spider!

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I'd love to move to a warmer climate, but with the warmer climates comes bigger, scarier bugs. There is nothing in the world that I fear more than spiders. I am so afraid of them, I have to talk myself into killing them when I run across one in my house. You've got more balls than me, secretdonkey -- picking up that scorpion and scanning it like that!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW, Florida TalkBassers: You guys have a spider down there -- it's about the size of a hand and its webs are like fishing line. I almost walked right smack into one a few years ago, because I was looking down instead of straight ahead. As I was walking through the woods, looking for snakes, I came upon three trees growing together. I stepped between the two on the left, stopped and looked back and to my right. In the space between the middle and right tree was one of those monster spiders. If I'd have gone right instead of left, I'd have gotten a facefull -- literally! Anyway, one of the locals called it a Banana Spider. Is that what they're called? Anyone know what the hell I'm even talking about?

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

No, there are quite a few small black spiders that have the hourglass.

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes, thats what I call them. I had one living in between two trees in my backyard for a few weeks. It was cool, I would go and visit it everyday and throw bugs into its web. It was about the size of my palm.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah I know of Banana spiders. They're no big deal though. You really dont see them that often and its just the legs that make them look that big.

You want big?

My Entomology prof. had a friend the call Spider Man bring in a couple of tarantulas last week. One was about 6 inches across and the other was about 9!

I picked up and handled the 6 inch one for a while. Its actually pretty cool, but the 9 incher has fangs about half an inch long and is more agressive so he didnt let anyone handle it... he doesnt even touch it!

The 6 incher I believe had fangs that were about 3/8" but I dont really remember. The real problem is that they shed these sharp hairs on their abdomen if they arent used to being handled. Its supposed to be like a cross between a porcupine and fiberglass insulation. Its less likely that they'll bite though.

Peace
    Nick

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oops, OK. Thanks.

20. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Do they have an actual hourglass shape, or is it just some sort of red splotch? I know there are a lot of bugs and snakes that look similar to the deadlier critters they are mimic, but they're not exactly alike...

I did a search for "Florida spiders" on Google and came up with the Golden Silk Spider, or Banana Spider. Thanks, guys! I'll be looking to show my fiancee one of those baddies when we come down there in two weeks.