1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

So you thought you couldn't rack mount a Class-D head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evan_phi, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Well I'm here to prove you wrong! :D

Here's my Traynor SB500H in a 2U rack space. Also relocated the power switch up front. I'm pretty proud of it. I designed and 3D printed this myself for my amp, but I'm sure there are lots of other amps out there that this could be done for as well.

"But why would you ever want to do this!?" you ask... Well I use that headphone amp to self-monitor and for house monitor. If the gig is tight for space and/or they already have a decent monitoring setup, I just bring the 3U rack and no cab. Saves my back and a TON of valuable floor space in a pit!

YBq0hht.jpg
    W3jh9WY.jpg

dabis, Al Kraft, mmon77 and 47 others like this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    That's certainly a creative way to do it :thumbsup:.

Another option would be to use some sort of rack tray.

upload_2021-3-7_18-58-15.png

Al Kraft, Loring, Winslow and 10 others like this.
  3. :thumbsup: Many use a rack tray then take off the feet and mount the amp to the bottom of the tray.

81%2BcVe0lw4L._AC_SY450_.jpg

4. Almost the same post at the same time. :woot:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GR7G5TER and Wasnex like this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If using the chassis and foot screws differently than the manufacturer intended, be darn sure that you are not contacting anything on the inside. I have seen some amazing damage done because a player had no idea why a manufacturer used a particular fastener or specific screw length length was used. Hillbilly Rack Mounting.JPG

Jazzdogg, mmon77, AudioTaper and 23 others like this.
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    One of my audio interfaces has a 1/4"-20 camera mount right in the middle of the bottom.
    I bought an aluminum rack track, drilled one hole, and used a camera mount knurled bolt to hold it down.
    The mount has a depth stop so you can't drive a bolt in too far.
    I see there are all kinds of camera mounts that use this same thread. It could be easy to stick one on the bottom of a small head with some of the newer strong double stick 3m tape out there.
    Something like this might work for some amps:
    Marshall Electronics CVM-15 Wall Mount Plate With 1/4" Center Screw Hole For CVM-7 And CVM-11 | Full Compass Systems

agedhorse likes this.
  7. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Isn't the whole idea being able to slide it here or there. I'm sorry. My rack's are heavy. Does the rackcase outweigh the head?
    I'm compelled to ask, well, because I'm compulsive.

fhm555 and spvmhc like this.
  8. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    Here a little dealie I fired together few years ago with a MarkBass F1, a rack shelf, and a lot of swearing:

fLtY4ij.jpg

Loring, S-Bigbottom, Meaculpa and 5 others like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    We all knew you could do it.

Snaxster, birminghambass and logdrum like this.
  10. Ummmmmm that’s a THREE SPACE RACK.

Loring likes this.
  11. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Both of my Class-D heads came with rack mounting ears from the factory. I've never used them.

Dubious Aa likes this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Who ever said it couldn't be done? :confused:

I'd been racking a Class D amp since 2001.

GR7G5TER likes this.
  13. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    I get it, for the OP’s application. If you’re having to carry the rack anyway, why not throw another 5lbs in there and make it all tidy? Makes sense. My OCD and Boy Scout preparedness loves that approach.

However, I don’t think this is consistent with the majority of player’s setups, but maybe we can add a poll to find out.

For me, I’d only consider it a thought experiment. The main reason I used the D class heads was for the weight savings of not bringing a big tube amp. The last few years I’m back to hauling my tube amp, while one of my D class amps stays in the car as a backup. I don’t carry the kind of outboard gear the OP carries, and don’t have those requirements for the places I play.

Love what some of you guys have done, though. Very tidy!

Engle likes this.
  14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I just took a cue from my pedalboard and velcroed the thing to an adjacent unit.

I DO like the switch!

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    IMO the reason to rack mount a D class amp is the same as racking my Mesa 400+. Protection when being transported by people other than myself.

Goatrope and fourstr00 like this.
  16. Ya, I’ve had it a very long time. I was going thru some old reels the other day.

S-Bigbottom, agedhorse and Spectrum like this.
  17. Bonecat

Bonecat

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    03C6077B-3126-4419-889F-CE6ACF87C72E.jpeg
    My B/Amp bolted to a shelf in our stage rack. Simple, works well...

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Good work with your 3d printer. A light weight solution. A lot of companies are printing 3D prototype cases during development, makes turnaround much faster.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Snaxster likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021