So You Wanna Be A Rock An Roll Star?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Just finnished reading this book by Jake Slichter, drummer of semisonic, remember closing time? :) . It is an excellent read, I couldn't put it down! I read it in 2 or 3 sittings it is so interesting. Talks about their rise to fame, reveals some information about the music proffession, record companies etc. Very worth it if you can pick it up! I loved it. And man did their record label suck!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Their label was the norm, believe it or not.
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    A very good book, very. . . . intellectual (Well, he did go to Harvard)? I was impressed with his insight and can understand why NPR used his diaries for a series. I was a little unsatisfied with how he dealt with his own talent and musical growth. Since he portrayed himself as a multi-instrumentalist, I got no real sense of his evolution as a drummer. It all seemed to. . . . romanticised/literary. Otherwise, it was captivating reading. I wonder what he is doing now? I have never heard "Closing Time" so I am still a bit clueless about the band's sound. He should have stipulated that a CD of material went with the book.
  4. Yikes, whatever happened to that band? I remember the song "closing time" and it wasn't that bad.
  5. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I saw them play at the Showbox here in Seattle once. Probably '97 or so... I remember their bassist kind of freaking me out. He was really tall and had these monstrous Wilt Chamberlain hands that looked like giant man eating spiders attacking his bass.

I swear I wasn't even drinking. :p

The singer was a bit surly that night, but they did put on a good show.

I kind of liked that band. They put out another album in 2001 called "All About Chemistry". Decent single, but I haven't heard the whole album.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So, then, how's Virgin? Or is that in your contract?
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    They were a hook-heavy pop-rock band, sort of in the style of Fountains of Wayne or Dishwalla. Closing Time was a pretty cool tune. They also had another minor hit. (Singing in Your Sleep, possibly?)

The book sounds interesting. Man, I have a ton of stuff on my "to read list". I wish my local library wasn't so behind the times, and the closest book store wasn't an hour away.
  8. Yeah closing time was their big north american hit, but did poor in europe believe it or not. Their song Secret Smile was their big international hit. The cd with closing time, singing in my sleep, and secret smile, called feeling strangely fine is a great cd. Havent heard all of All About Chemistry though. Never heard 1 song from their first cd, The Great Divide, i think it sold like 50,000 copies.
  9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My guitarist sort of rediscovered his copy of "Feeling Strangely Fine" like two weeks before I got down for summer break in May. We played it on the way home from a camping trip in Santa Cruz and man, talk about flashback city. I hadn't hear "Closing Time" in like five years or so. The rest of that cd is really good as well. I haven't heard their follow-up, I might look into that this week. I think I may have to pick up this book.
  10. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Weren't a couple of the Semisonic members originally in Trip Shakespeare?

That was a cool band. The bass player was pretty cool in that group, played mostly fretless and some upright.
  11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, bass player and singer from Trip Shakespeare formed semisonic with Jake.

I liked the book too. I was never really into Semisonic at the time, but they were a great pop band. I didn't know the lyrics to 'closing time' were about giving birth...
  12. I liked the softer, less obvious rocker version of "closing time".

Was that the former or the latter version? If it was the former, I'm willing to bet the label demanded them to "rock it out" to push the song.

I likenned Semisonic to the likes of Nada Surf, another really good band. "Blizzard of 77" is a fantastic song off their last album that no one heard, in a sea of Ashlees.

13. I hated "closing time" and I despised Semisonic. It was such stupid 'fratboy' easy listening swill- still get shivers.... I saw them in Minneapolis in 1999. They were headlining that day of the festival on the strength of closing time. Bob Mould played earlier in the day. Prince headlined the next day.

Michael Jackson did not play.

No Smooth Criminal.

OTOH, it would be a cool read about getting used by the system and then what happens once your welcome has been worn out.
  14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  15. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain

16. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had followed them off and on ever since their first hit ("If I Run"). "Closing Time" seemed like sort of a weird song out of them to me but I dug it. I agree that it was a bit overplayed by the fratboy set though.

Jake had an interview in Modern Drummer back in the day and I remember reading about his touring setup and boggling because he played keys with one hand and did most of his drumming with the other hand WHILE doing backup vocals. He had a modified hi hat stand that he put crash cymbals on so he could do most beats without leaving the keys. He's a really solid drummer and plays for the song first, so reading that was impressive. When I read his book I kept coming across all of the stuff where he didn't think his playing was adequate and I couldn't believe it.

I'm sad that they broke up, but hopefully he sticks with the music after this book thing dies down a bit.