So you want a job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I just left a "mass interview" session with approximately 20 people applying for 3-4 available jobs. While waiting my turn, I was able to observe why some people never seem to find work. Statistically, some of you on this site probably fall into this I'll take this time to thank you for wearing your stupidity on your sleeve, it's made me look pretty good.
    (if you don't think you fall into this category, read below and reevaluate).

Here are a few tips for some of you young whippersnappers out there that might still be looking for summer work. All of these were observed today.

1) Dress like you want the job. I understand that a suit is not needed for every job interview, but a pair of khakis and a collared shirt never killed anyone. Dressing up shows a little respect for the employer and the job. One of the guys applying for a job today came in wearing flip-flops, shorts and a t-shirt; there were no lifeguard positions available.

2) An interview is not a place to make a statement about your individuality. Trust me, they don't care. Until you know the job environment (not think you know, but know) cover anything that is out of the ordinary. This means extreme haircuts, tatoos and piercings. Not willing to compromise but still want a high paying job? Prepare to wait or get in the unemployment line.

3) Turn off your damn cell phone. No one cares about what you did last night or how broke you are. It takes a real moron to answer his cell in a general interview waiting room and complain that the company is taking too damn long. Thanks, my stock just went up.

4) The "secretary" taking the applications and calling in the interviewers has a lot more pull with that company than you think she does. Act like you care what she thinks. If you say something like "where the hell is y'all's bathroom?", chances are pretty good that attitude will be conveyed to the person interviewing you.

5) Don't bring your friends or family. Does it really take a posse to apply for a job? If they gave you a ride, make sure that they circle the block until you're done. One of the first questions you'll be asked is whether or not you have transportation...a group of idiots coming in with you just called that into question.

At any rate... I'll enjoy my second interview next week while at least half of those idiots shot themselves in the foot before they came in. I love natural selection.

2. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I've got TWO jobs. Does that mean I'm better than everyone?
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA

People like that make me laugh and ofcourse, I love them for it. It makes finding a job so much easier! :p
  4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Agreed on all fronts.

One thing that is possibly of interest is interview formats. I'm in a co-op program at the University of Waterloo, so I'm looking for a job every 4 months (I alternate 4 months of study and 4 months of work) and am in interview situations many times a year. Because there's no long term commitment for both parties with these jobs, some employers save themselves the travel to the university and do their interviews by phone. I've had a few of these, and got my current job via one.

I'd like to point out that even though you can show up to phone interviews in whatever clothes you like (which I enjoy) the interviewer still gets a pretty good idea about you. Just by the way you answer them and your mannerism, they know whether you are professional in the way you conduct yourself. The cell phone rule still applies here too. even when you're not meeting the employer face to face, _most_ of the same interview practices still apply.
  5. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    hmmm this one interest me. i don't own any khakis or collared shirts. i own a suit if that counts. :D
    oh yeah make sure u have a good atitude. which means make sure ur good looking. and if u have one of those faces ur screwed
  6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yep, I work for a kind of "open mided" department that likes to do things a bit differently. When people interview for positions that are open in our group we ask for 5-6 of us who would be this persons co-worker to do a group interview. We have a pretty well established bunch of us that each get a variety of different "feelings" from the person as to if they will fit within our group and the institution as a whole. I could go on for a while on some of the strange things that I've seen/heard from people in these situations. I'm always amazed at how "at ease" people can get so quickly with a small group of potential co-workers.
  7. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I have three. Oh yea.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The job I just got (which I'm not sure I want to keep yet) required two interviews meeting five people. I beat out 20 the first round, and 4 the second round. It's all in the interview.
  9. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Even in a laid back store like mine, I still am amazed at how kids dress when they come in looking for summer work. No I don't have a dress code, but I'm pretty sure most places (including mine) like their employees to take showers and wear shirts on any given day.

Think before you leave your house.
  10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    well, this does make me feel good about myself because I have followed such simple standards at previous interviews.....but I still do work at subway (I recently left my second job at a hotdog stand!).

But hopefully I'll be finding a better job soon. :)
  11. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You've had applicants that show up without a shirt on?
  12. dress for the job you want, not the job you got
  13. I have to absolutely agree with just about everything said.

Above all dress like you want the job! I run a small manufacturing company and we do a lot of heavy welding. I readily admit that it is a lousey work environment, sorta like a coal mine. So don't come to the interview (for a labor position) in a shirt and tie, it makes you look clueless.... dress appropriately. Clean clothing though, please.

Be on time...... if you can't be on time for the interview, you won't be on time for work, you are the weakest link.....Goodbye! :D

Have something intelligent to say when asked, anything...please :smug:

14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

If someone refuses to capitalize where appropriate, and can't be bothered to type out the very lengthy words "YOU" and "YOUR", they'd have no chance in hell of getting hired anywhere I had a say.
  15. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Great observations Mike ... I hope you don't mind me adding my $0.02

Also, dress and act to match the other employees in the workplace. You want to fit in. This should be part of your prejob research. The workplace doesn't need any more competition than that which will occur naturally.

... unless it's a statement intended to sell the company on how you will make their work easier, make their workplace more enjoyable and collegial, make them more money, etc. Firms want to hire a Bionic Gopher with personality.

Yup ... they can make or break you both before and after you have the job; often they are one of the manager's main sources of 'intelligence' about employees. Remember to bring flowers on Secretaries Day, etc.

Do people really do this? Wow.

Only when it happens to others :rolleyes:
  16. `ash

Feb 26, 2004
    I'll never forget when i was 17 and had a group interview. There were 7 of us present, of which i was the youngest.

We had to work through the "survival task" where we are all stranded on a desert island and had to choose 5 essential items from a list of 20 (matches, empty containers, rope, raft, magnifying glass etc etc)

Anyway, long story short, after 30 minutes on this, the interviewer tells us that time is up, and then, wait for it.... chimes in with her own list of items and says something to the effect "such and such would have been better but you guys came came pretty close".

it was one of those defining moments when someone lays all their cards on the table and says here i am. :)
  17. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I didn't do any of the above and landed my current job. Figures, I dress up in a nice suit for fice or six interviews, and land the job I showed up in BDUs, an untucked button down and motorcycle boots...

Of course I was "interviewing" for my old job with my old boss. The interview basically consisted of "How have you been? Cool, well this is what changed, by the way I can give you a raise if you come back".

18. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    what if we don't get the job because of our age?
    I'm sixteen and have sent an application to about 15 different places. I had one interview at wal-mart and I could not come home from school to change, they knew this, I went streight to the interview. it's been 4 weeks and still no word. the place is currently understaffed, mainly on days the days I said I could work.

this place, is wal-mart.

do employers throw out an application if they see the age is below eighteen?
  19. Call. I would have called a week after the initial interview. I have persoanlly known people who were hired onto a company I worked for because of persistence alone. The owner actually told that he was unimpressed with "John" during the interview, but the fact that he came back 4 times to follow up made the owner really believe that "John" wanted the job and would do well.
  20. ABSOLUTELY If (as part of an interview) a few potential co-workers meet with you for lunch/coffee whatever "informally" DO NOT assume that this is an "off-the-record" situation where you can comment on the boss's wig, admin's rack, HR person's dress-sense. Nor is it the occasion to say "Man, last night I got SO wasted..." These people are still evaluating you and *will* be telling others in the hiring process.