1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So you want to know what a BB sounds like...(clips)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray5bbx, Mar 7, 2006.

1. im sorry but what is a BB?

2. You GO, boy!!!:hyper:

VERY Nice job -- you have been shedding on that tune for a minute, haven't you?? That's one of my fave tunes and you do it SERIOUS justice!!!!!

Nice playing! :bassist:

3. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice! Which model is that?

::to clarify:: is that an older neck through BB, or one of the newer 41x/61x bolt on. Active or passive? 5 string?

I've been considering a SR5 but have been eyeing these for a while. Which are you more likely to take to a gig?

4. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Very cool. especially the No Doubt stuff.... What model is that?

5. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    The Yamaha BB-x has been sold in japan recently over the years, while the US did not carry BBs. The BB-x is more or less a new "1600" or "bolt on 3000(s)" (4string). Alder body, rosewood fretboard and passive PJ. Vol/Vol/Tone like in the good old days. I dig it. my other axe is an Sr5, and I cant believe how much enjoyment I get out of a bass that cost 1/2 as much. I picked it up on ebay BRAND NEW a year ago from a guy who brought back like, 10 BBs (X's and 3000s). a week later he had put up one of the 3000s he thought he wouldn't sell:crying: . oh well, my baby is solid and versatile.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been playing 10years this May and have really studied Prestia and Kanal over the years. Currently working on Jamiroquai - getting good, but not good enough to post :D .

6. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    kirin - i've had my sr5 for 5 years and during those years it was completely capabale of any gig and I loved it.

I bought the yamaha based on GAS. The sr5 has "one unique tone" that can fit in all genres, where as the PJ configuration allows a full fender P, a growling jaco J, and on the recordings - an all around punchy clear PJ. When i went back to a 4 string I realized how much slapping is more comfortable on a 4 and now i seek a sr4 or SUB4 - because the stingray is a slapper.

I love the BB for its simpleness. I use it when the sr5 is too "modern/active". I use it to play oldschool style thump.

To ultimately choose 1 bass, I choose the sr5 because a significant enough portion of my music can facilitate the B string.

That was a long ramble:hyper: ... sorry if i confused you. more questions welcome!

7. Nice clips :)

8. CrUiSeR

CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    BroadBass

9. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Well done my man! I just ordered my BB415 today and I can't wait til it gets in!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Pics to come within a week or so!

Speaking of Yammy's, someone'll may need to start the Yamaha club soon.