So you want to know what a BB sounds like...(clips)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray5bbx, Mar 7, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

You GO, boy!!!:hyper:

VERY Nice job -- you have been shedding on that tune for a minute, haven't you?? That's one of my fave tunes and you do it SERIOUS justice!!!!!

Nice playing! :bassist:
  2. kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Nice! Which model is that?

::to clarify:: is that an older neck through BB, or one of the newer 41x/61x bolt on. Active or passive? 5 string?

I've been considering a SR5 but have been eyeing these for a while. Which are you more likely to take to a gig?
  3. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Very cool. especially the No Doubt stuff.... What model is that?
  4. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    The Yamaha BB-x has been sold in japan recently over the years, while the US did not carry BBs. The BB-x is more or less a new "1600" or "bolt on 3000(s)" (4string). Alder body, rosewood fretboard and passive PJ. Vol/Vol/Tone like in the good old days. I dig it. my other axe is an Sr5, and I cant believe how much enjoyment I get out of a bass that cost 1/2 as much. I picked it up on ebay BRAND NEW a year ago from a guy who brought back like, 10 BBs (X's and 3000s). a week later he had put up one of the 3000s he thought he wouldn't sell:crying: . oh well, my baby is solid and versatile.

Thanks for the comments guys. I've been playing 10years this May and have really studied Prestia and Kanal over the years. Currently working on Jamiroquai - getting good, but not good enough to post :D .
  5. stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    kirin - i've had my sr5 for 5 years and during those years it was completely capabale of any gig and I loved it.

I bought the yamaha based on GAS. The sr5 has "one unique tone" that can fit in all genres, where as the PJ configuration allows a full fender P, a growling jaco J, and on the recordings - an all around punchy clear PJ. When i went back to a 4 string I realized how much slapping is more comfortable on a 4 and now i seek a sr4 or SUB4 - because the stingray is a slapper.

I love the BB for its simpleness. I use it when the sr5 is too "modern/active". I use it to play oldschool style thump.

To ultimately choose 1 bass, I choose the sr5 because a significant enough portion of my music can facilitate the B string.

That was a long ramble:hyper: ... sorry if i confused you. more questions welcome!
  6. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
  7. KYJazzy

KYJazzy Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    Well done my man! I just ordered my BB415 today and I can't wait til it gets in!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Pics to come within a week or so!

Speaking of Yammy's, someone'll may need to start the Yamaha club soon.