So you want to rage quit TB, now what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Apr 26, 2014.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    This thread is a 'self-help guide' thread for those members who find themselves wanting to rage quit, but don't know how to go about doing it.

Let's start by asking yourself two questions.
    1. Have you've been offended on talkbass?
    2. Do you want to quit visiting talkbass because of the offense?
    If you answered yes to both questions, then you're in the right place.

I'll leave the rest of this thread as a wiki of sorts. You, talkbass veterans, can add to this thread.

Not to be taken seriously.

2. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Extra butt hurt points will be awarded to those who go on to another web forum to whine about TB gear snobs and unfair TB moderators.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Start by being an "Internet tough guy," i.e., an authoritarian narcissist with no authority.

Not referring to any particular person, mind you, just making a suggestion. :)

4. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    go actually put in some practice time instead? Just a thought. :atoz:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I wanted to rage quit another forum a couple of weeks ago, and almost complained here cuz the guy who was my reason for wanting to rage quit is a talkbass member who I was pretty certain would be checking here to see what I had to say about his banning me for 2 weeks. He's a mod at the other forum, which isn't a music related forum. Basically, if you don't agree with him he plays tough guy with you and threatens to ban you. I pretty much told him to go eff himself, and well... Yeah. Guess what happened. Now I have to walk on eggshells over there if I post. Still actually want to rage quit but I know if I do my post will just get deleted and I'll be permanently banned.

Just thought I'd share. I have to share more here on talkbass because my likes ridiculously too low. Have to sharpen my wit a bit now too. Likes might be a good reason to rage quit talkbass...

6. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    The number 1 rule to rage quitting is you can't come back. Otherwise it was just drama-queening.

[​IMG]

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    3q3m42.jpg

8. I was afraid of using image tags because I didn't want to upset the veteran talkbassists that are still using smoke-signal internet connections. Some members acted like the new forum was bringing in Dark Magic and it scared them.

I didn't want to ragequit because www.basstalk.com doesn't exist.

RandalPinkFloyd likes this.
  9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The most important ingredient to rage quitting is complaining that your free speech rights were violated and calling the moderators a bunch of NAZI's.

Luke19Boarder and cheezewiz like this.
  10. In all seriousness, since the "upgrade" happened the offtopic forum has become my main interest. That is a dire indicator of the future success of the whole enterprise. It seems to me that the worthwhile traffic has dropped off in a big way. Bring on another major upgrade that isn't so painful to read and navigate.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I dislike the style of moderation enacted by some, I'm Ok with the way most of the moderators operate tho. It had been over 30 years since I spent time in the vice principals office. I considered a rage quit the other day- but it would have been a rage ban in actuallity.
    Some of the mods are cool- others arent. And the problem I have with it is there's no recourse at all. It's a private universe and if I don't like it, fair or unfair the only choices I have are comply with arbitrary rules and enforcement (rules I'm cool with I just wish everyone were on the same page with them) or go off the deep end and get banned.
    So I comply. Let's see what this post of honesty does to my freedom.
    Just cause im paranoid doesn't mean no one is out to get me :)

12. Hissyquit

FilterFunk likes this.
  13. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    I've been to the principal's office here a few times. Things to remember: mods are human, nobody with even a modicum of "control" wants to be dressed down publicly. Contact the mod via PM, be polite, explain your position, indicate a desire to not be expelled. I used to run a big forum and it took people a while to understand and believe that I rarely banned someone permanently. I actually had a user status called "suspended for cooling". I would tell the combatant(s) , "ok, that got too crazy, you guys both need to take a time out...I'm calling it 3 days." And then after 3 days they'd get a brief email indicating their account was back to full on and the "suspended" status disappeared. The biggest problem was when people created another account to come in and flame before their time out ran - immediate and permanent banning. Take your spanking, blow your nose and come back. Chances are nobody will care or remember other than you.

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That this thread doesn't yet include a flow chart makes me want to rage quit.

15. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    I think it's pretty funny how seriously some peeps take all this. You'd think we're all taking the One Ring to Mount Doom.

16. Something to think about, at least with this forum (and probably the other forum) - I've never gotten a gig from anything related to this forum, and I've never met anyone off of this forum - the two or so people that I do know in real life, I had met before finding them on this forum. I've picked up a few good technique pointers, and some good recommendations for gear (and I'd like to think that I've provided that to others). However, if TB folded today, I doubt that many people would be directly affected.

That said, there was one forum (totally unrelated forum based on skiing) where I ended up meeting my best friends, went on trips to foreign countries with total strangers from all over the world, had strangers crash on my couch, and literally put my life in their hands. It slowly devolved over the span of 4-5 years (also spurred by the fact that many of us got kids, married, etc.). Now I never visit it, but 5-6 years ago, I was on it constantly. Getting banned from that forum would have directly influenced my social life. The funny thing is that forum had an absolute minimum of moderation, and it proved to be one of the most valuable online resources. I still have friends all over the US and even in Europe from that forum. This forum has none of that.

This forum is good diversion and I get/give some good info on occasion, but it doesn't affect my life much. One day TB will go away in some form, and it really can happen at almost any time. I'm just saying...

17. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I'm just happy I don't have beefs with members! There is one guy in TBOT who seems to hate me, but thankfully I think I landed under his ignore button. In fact I think he was flagging my posts.
    The best revenge is living well- I think I'll have lobster for dinner (hate boy couldn't afford lobster if he saved up all WEEK!).

fraublugher likes this.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I know you cannot read this due to ignore, but how do you know I cannot afford lobster? ;)

19. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    :beaver:
    You weren't the dude in question and I don't use the ignore feature.
    If you were close, I'd buy ya a lobster sub even though business sucks right now.

20. So the link shows a bunch of posts, but I get here and nothing? :bored:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021